22.I distract you.

Songs:
Ribs- Lorde
•All my friends- snakeships

Jane left the room feeling slightly better, a small smile on her face. Things weren't great, but they could be a whole lot worse.

"Jane."

She stopped and the smile dropped a little. Shit. Reid. Forgot about that.

She turned and found him hovering beside the door, an unsure and almost nervous look on his face.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

She was about to answer when a cough came from next to her. Hotch leant forward and handed her a case file.

"I just told you, blush later."

She scowled at him, with that small smile threatening to take over again. She glimpsed at Reid out of the corner of her eye and gestured toward him with a nod of her head as she spoke to Hotch.

"I know were supposed to be a bit mad at each other, but could you be a dear and give me 15 minutes?"

"Five."

"You nearly pulled your gun on me."

"Ten."

"Your generosity astounds me." She bowed at him before turning toward Reid. She walked over to him and lent on the door frame, seeing that he had crossed his arms over his chest and his gaze was stuck to the floor. She nudged his ribs with her elbow.

"Hey Reid."

He raised his eyes to meet hers and for once they did not look away from her.

"You're leaving?" He asked in a low voice.

"Excuse me Mr eavesdropper." She joked. It fell flat when she saw the look on Reid's face.

Jane sighed before nodding her head slowly.

"Yeah. Yeah, I am. I'm not designed for the amount of social activity that this job requires. That and I'm technically still a criminal."

"They released on you self-defence."

"Oh, so you have read my file?"

Jane saved Reid from stuttering by interrupting him.

"It's fine. At the end of the day, if you smash someone round the head and they die, it's still murder."

Jane moved from her position and stood in front of Reid, uncrossed his arms, and left her hands resting on his wrists and levelled him with the softest look she could muster.

"I said this to Hotch so I'm going to going to say it to you as well. I'm not a good person."

Sensing Reids protesting, she released one of his wrists and signalled for him to wait.

"I know that you want to tell me that I am, but I'm not. I've had plenty of opportunities to do the right thing, or even just something good. But I don't, and I probably never will. This is a hard job. It needs someone good. Someone like you. But it doesn't need me. And I'm okay with that. Me leaving is probably what's best, for everyone."

Gathering all the courage he had, Reid loosened Jane's grip on his wrist and took both of her hands in his.

"It wouldn't be best for me."

Jane glanced down at their joined hands and back up at Reid, raising her eyebrows at him.

"Actually, I think it would be. I distract you, Reid."

She watched with a grin as red blossomed over Reid's face, and he dropped their hands, crossing his arms over his chest again.

"I- I don't know what youre talking about."

"It's fine. You don't need to be embarrassed about it."

"I'm not embarrassed about anything." Reid's eyes were flickering everywhere but Jane's face as he avoided her smile.

"Sure you aren't. If it makes you feel any better, you distract me too."

Reid stopped his nervous movements and let his eyes drift to meet Jane's. He watched as a small smile pulled at the corner of her lips. Suddenly aware of where he was looking, he quickly pulled his gaze back up to Jane's, knowing full well she'd been following his eyes. Reid cleared his throat and-

"Hey, I hate to do this to you both, be gotta move. Hotch want's us ready to move out in ten." Morgans face appeared from around the corner, looking regretful. Jane nodded at him and looked back at Reid, poking him in the arm.

"To be continued, yeah? Emily promised me alcohol when this is all over, and I am never one to say no to drinks."

Reid smiled at Jane's back as she followed after Morgan.

—————————————————————

guess who's back.
okay first of all, i'm super sorry that it's taken me almost a full year to get back on this stupid story. but i'm done with school and i promise to get this story finished. thank you for sticking with jane as she says and does a lot of stupid stuff.