1.America sucks.

Songs:
•Heal- Tom Odell
•Good guy- Zayn

Jane Hanson had always hated America. She disliked it even more in the winter. Christmas for Jane was just a reminder about how shitty her life was. No parents, no friends, a crappy job and a crappy apartment. She was completely and utterly alone. She was stuck and she had given up. Living in New York was supposed to be amazing. She had moved to Manhattan after she graduated from university to find somewhere to work, but her main reason for moving was to leave everyone and everything behind. She had done the same thing through out most of her life. The first time she had moved was at Christmas when she was younger. She didn't want to move but because she was only a teenager, she didn't have a say in the matter. Jane was born in England and she lived there until she was 14. She got on well with everyone. She would have friends over whenever she could. She had a good relationship with her teachers, and she was a brilliant student. She loved her parents and they spent almost all of their time together.

On Christmas eve they were called into work because one of their colleges had food poisoning. They promised Jane that they would be back before she fell asleep, and they left her in the living room watching Home Alone. They weren't back when the movie finished but Jane didn't think anything of it. She started flicking through different Television channels, but her blood ran cold when she saw the news. She could feel her heart throbbing in her chest as she turned up the volume.

"-3 armed men broke into a bank on Victoria Street tonight. They stole over £3 million and killed two employees. Sarah and John Hanson were pronounced dead on arrival when the paramedics arrived-"

Jane's world stopped spinning that day.

The police found the bodies of the murderers two days later. The youngest member of the group couldn't come to terms with what they had done, and he committed murder suicide.

The only relatives that Jane had left were her aunt and uncle who lived in Pennsylvania. She didn't want to leave England. It was her home. But it was only her home because she had her parents. Now that they were gone, she didn't have anything left for her there. She hadn't put up a fight when social services packed up all of her stuff and sent her to Pennsylvania.

She hated it from the minute she got there and every day after that.

About a month after she moved out there the nightmares began. It was normally always the same one. Her parents running towards her then them falling to the ground with a bullet between their eyes. She would wake up screaming and thrashing in her bed, unable to get the image out of her mind. She was scared to go to sleep.

The school realised that she was doing a lot better than the other students in her class, so they had pushed her up a grade. And then another. And another. In her final year of school she took an IQ test and got 173. She graduated from high school three years early.

She forced herself to go to university and come out on the other end of it with PhDs in Psychology, Engineering and Mathematics, another IQ test with results of 186 and a nicotine addiction. She moved to New York and then she gave up on life.

After a few years in prison, she ended jumping from job to job. Waitressing, taxi driver, window cleaner, anything that she could earn money from.

Now she was skating through Central Park on her way to the shitty café she worked at. She had taken this path everyday for the last year and she hated it more and more every time she did it. She thought about getting out of there and doing something with her life, but she was beyond the point of little girl daydreams.

Her thoughts were cut off when she heard a painful scream that sent a shiver down her spine. She looked around trying to locate the person who screamed. Her breath hitched in her throat as she saw a woman lying completely still on the grass. Jane hesitated before jumping off her board, running towards the woman and skidding on her knees as she bent down to try to help.

"Hey, are you okay, can you hear me?"

Jane shook her shoulders slightly to try and bring the woman back to consciousness. As she did, the woman's coat fell away from her body and Jane's eyes widened as she saw the deep maroon stain that was slowly spreading through her shirt. Jane took off her scarf and started to apply pressure to the wound trying to slow the bleeding.

"Hey lady if you can hear me you need to say something."

She leant down to the woman's face and to hear if she was breathing. She wasn't.

She pulled one of her hands away to reach for her phone. She was about to dial 911 when she saw someone run out from behind a tree. The sun reflected off a piece of metal he had in his hand and Jane realised that he was holding a knife. She quickly checked the woman's pulse and confirmed that she had passed. This woman had been murdered and the person who had stabbed her stayed to watch her bleed out. Without a second thought Jane was on her feet and was running in the direction that the man had gone.

She caught up to him before she had time to process what she was doing. He turned around to face her and she quickly looked him up and down.

forty or fifty years old, limping slightly on his right leg, possibly from a previous injury, weighs around 75-80 kg.

"Two beauties at once," he grinned at Jane. "Must be my lucky day."

Anger bubbled in Jane's chest as she lunged at the man. She kicked his right leg and his knee buckled under the extra pressure. She grabbed his shoulders and stuck her foot behind the mans one good leg. He collapsed backwards and Jane moved to kneel on the man's chest. She grabbed the knife from his hand and threw it away, out of his reach. She punched him in the face just for good measure.

"It's definitely not your lucky day" she spat her words out. Her knuckles started to throb, but she ignored them.

He was about to return her comment when blue lights flashed across Jane's face.

"NYPD put your hands in the air!"

Confusion weaved it's way through her mind as she tried to make sense of what they were saying. The man lying on the ground under Jane couldn't move and there was no chance of him getting away. So why hadn't they come over and arrested him. The police carried on shouting orders and she realised that they weren't shouting at the man. They were shouting at her.

They were arresting Jane.
_______________________

A/N
This is my first story so please go easy on me. :)