36. Little Argument

.***Arya's POV.***

Vedant, who has spoken nothing during the entire conversation, went to our room. I looked after him in confusion as to why he looked so... upset. I went to the kitchen, then went up to our room to see Vedant busy working.

"Is something wrong?" I ask after I get changed into my night suit.

"No." He says without looking up.

"Okay." I say and get in the bed. I wait for him for half an hour and sleep is far from my eyes. I look at Vedant to see him still busy at work, so I sit up and ask, "Are you not going to sleep?"

"I will. Just not yet." He says and his clenched jaw tells me something is wrong.

"Are you angry at me, Ved?" I ask.

"No." He says.

"Then why are you being so... cold?" I ask, and he finally looks up.

"I am sorry. It's just that... Forget it. I am sorry. You sleep. I will be there in an hour. You can turn off the light. I will sit in the study." He says and goes to get up.

"No need. I will be fine. Stay here." I say and he smiles to assure me, but I still feel something is off.

I fall asleep while looking at him and toss and turn. But as soon as I feel his arms around me, I fall asleep fitfully. Next morning I woke up to see Vedant gone. He never wakes up before me. Maybe he has an early meeting or something.

I go down after getting ready and ask Vimi if she saw Vedant leave. She says that Vedant is with Mayra having morning coffee. I don't feel good about this, so I go up to see what they are up to. When I reach Mayra's room then I hear it.

"I am just telling you to think before you decide anything." Vedant says and I stop.

"So you mean to say I should say yes to the proposal?" Mayra asks.

"No. I am just saying that you will get better proposals. I know the man who came before liked you, but his parents didn't. But that doesn't mean the next man would not fight for you. You don't have to marry Shaurya just because you think you don't have options." Vedant says.

"I am not thinking like that." Mayra says.

"I know. But I don't want you to say yes just because you feel responsible somehow. I don't want you to say yes and spoil your life." Vedant says and I frown.

"Why would you say that? If you are forgetting, your in-laws are good people." Mayra defends my family.

"They are good people. I do not deny that. I just don't want you to be burdened with something like that." Vedant says.

"You mean to say that Veer would become a burden to me? He is just a small child. If anything, he is the only person with whom I don't have to feel anything but love." Mayra says.

"I know. But you would be responsible for that child, like Mom said. And whatever you do for him would be seen as your duty. But the minute you make one mistake, society will start pointing fingers at you." Vedant says, and he is not wrong about that.

"You know better than anyone that I stopped caring for society a long time ago." Mayra says.

"Fine, forget Veer and society for a second. Do you think you can adjust with Shaurya in a relationship?" Vedant asks.

"Weren't yours arranged marriage, too? How much did you know about Arya before that?" Mayra asks.

"Ours was a different case. Shaurya is too practical and would bore you." Vedant says, and that does it.