Ready Player One: Allegra

I was losing it.

One hundred percent losing it.

When Liam suggested putting on a show, I didn't even think that eventually, even I would be buying into it. But I was. Hard.

All the subtle touches, the glances, the whispers. They pissed the hell out of both Trevor and Joey, their intended targets, but the longer the night went on, the more they were starting to affect me. All the little jokes he told just to make me smile. The way he ran his fingertips against the bare skin on my back when he went off to get us drinks. If this was acting, the man deserved a fucking Oscar.

By the time we reached the dance club portion of the evening, I was ready to pounce. I wanted this man more than I'd ever wanted anything in my whole life. I either needed to get away from Liam or jump him, and his reputation didn't really need me doing the latter, at least in public. Honestly, my mental state didn't really need it either.

While Liam was distracted by some of his friends, I slipped out onto the patio for some fresh air, instantly grateful for the cool breeze washing over my skin. How was it possible to be this turned on by essentially nothing?

It's not like we'd kissed or even truly touched, but my heart was fluttering against my ribs like a caged animal. I needed to chill out, fast. He was pretending. Supposedly so was I. I just needed to get my lady bits to remember that.

I closed my eyes and tipped my head back, trying to center myself. Trying to clear how much I wanted Liam from my mind. We were a bad idea, I knew that. He knew that. It was just an act.

Just an act, Allegra.

"You enjoying yourself?"

My eyes shot open, and my head whipped to the door behind me. "I should ask you the same thing," I spat at Trevor as he pushed the door shut behind him.

"What the fuck are you doing, Allegra?" he asked, taking one step and then another in my direction.

I let out a scoffing laugh. "What am I doing? Are you fucking kidding me right now? You're the one that showed up with the fucking Playmate."

"Allegra..."

"No," I cut him off, teeth gritted together. "You've got some fucking nerve coming out here thinking you have any grounds to fucking question me."

"Calm down."

"You calm down!" I retorted. "Go back to your fucking date and leave me alone."

"Last I saw my date was busy hanging all over yours."

I felt my heart squeeze a bit but schooled my expression. An act, Allegra. It had all been an act. "Whatever. I don't really care."

Trevor laughed. "Yeah. The gritted teeth really show a lack of concern."

"Fuck off, Trev."

"Are you fucking him?"

"I don't really see how that's any of your concern considering we're definitely not any sort of together now."

"Leggy, come on..."

Trevor reached out for my wrist, but I quickly jerked out of the way. "Don't fucking touch me."

"It doesn't have to be like this, Allegra."

"Yes, it fucking does, Trevor," I stated firmly. "All tonight did was prove exactly why I can't trust you. Why I haven't trusted you for fucking years!"

"We're not together! You can't get mad at me for bringing someone else!"

I laughed shrilly. It sounded psychotic even in my head, but honestly it fit. "Are you fucking kidding me? Every six months you try to beg me back into a relationship and you thought the best way to showcase that was by showing up to a party, that I didn't invite you to, by the fucking way, with another woman as your date?! Do you even hear how stupid that fucking sounds?"