New Truths: Liam

I could feel the sweat on my palms as I watched the camera crew set up on the patio. Allegra's distraction had definitely worked, at least until people I didn't know started arriving and inserting themselves into what was usually my safe haven.

I'd gone back and forth a few thousand times over what was happening this afternoon. One minute I was talking myself out of doing it, out of baring my deepest, darkest secrets from the entire world, and the next telling myself that I had to. I had to get all of this... darkness, all of the things that haunted me needed to come to light. Not even for me, but for the woman I loved. For the life we were about to bring into this world. The old, selfish Liam was very much trying to rear his ugly head, telling me to just fucking run. But I couldn't. I wouldn't. I wasn't that Liam and I never wanted to be again.

"You doin' okay?" Meredith asked softly as she arrived at my side. She gave my bicep a friendly squeeze as her mouth turned into an affectionate, yet concerned smile. I was grateful she was there. Mere was one on the short list of people that at least had some idea of what I'd gone through. She knew enough to know how rough this day was going to be on me, anyway and at this point, that was all that mattered.

I took a deep breath, puffing up my chest like some sort of weird bird and nodded as I exhaled. "Is there a such thing as being ready to tell the world your father raped you and your mother never stopped him?"

I felt Meredith's sigh as she squeezed my arm once more. "I know that I had my doubts about you doing this..." she began before I turned and we locked eyes, "but I am so incredibly proud of you."

"Aw, Mere," I grinned, slinging an arm over her shoulder and tugging her into my side. "It almost sounds like you like me."

Meredith rolled her eyes but she was definitely fighting a smile at the same time. "Don't push it, Cohen."

I grinned and smacked a peck against her temple. "Thank you."

"For?"

"Bein' here. Putting up with my shit for almost ten years now. You've been more of a mom to me than the woman that gave birth to me ever was."

Meredith looked back at me with glassy eyes before lifting her hand and placing it against my scruffy cheek. "And you've been the pain in the ass son I've never asked for."

I beamed back at her. "I got a lot of pain in the ass left in the tank. But I think it'll be less about me doing dumb shit and more me wanting to not work so I can smother my kid with attention until she hates me."

Meredith laughed at that and gave me a squeeze. "Good. Wouldn't want it any other way."

"Mr. Cohen?"

Both Meredith and I turned our eyes to the production assistant heading toward us. She cleared her throat and gave me a nervous smile. "We're ready for you. Need to get you mic'd up and test levels and stuff."

I took a deep breath and gave her a nod. "Then I suppose we should get started." I glanced back at Meredith as I stepped toward the obviously nervous girl. It was evident to me that the girl was starstruck. I'd seen the look on her face numerous times in my career, but I'd learned to ignore it. I'd sign her an autograph or something later, but right now, I needed to focus on not losing my shit. "Make sure Allegra's alright, will you? She was stressing about the dress she bought."

Meredith chuckled and gave me a nod. "I'll go check on her."

"Thank you."

I turned back to the girl staring at me with 'doe caught in a headlight' eyes and gave her a brilliant grin. "Lead the way."

It only took a few minutes for the crew to get me strapped up and ready. They'd prepped a 'set' on the back patio, partially because of lighting, and partially because it was where I'd be most comfortable. I loved being outside. The sun, the air, the hum of a nearby lawn being mowed. It was all incredibly calming to me, and I was certain I'd feel much better outside than I would being inundated by questions I didn't want to answer in my dimly lit living room.