Too Good at Goodbye: Allegra

Even as the shower shut off, I kept my face toward the opposite wall. I didn't need him to see my tear-stained cheeks. I didn't need him to hear my sniffles or see the desperation currently inhabiting my body. He didn't need to know that his impending departure was rattling me to my core. He didn't need to know any of that. And I sure as shit didn't want to tell him.

I heard the creak of the bathroom door and could feel the second he came back into the bedroom. We'd spent the majority of the last two days in bed, either fucking or laughing or watching movies, just being together. The longer I spent with Liam Cohen, the more I knew I was a goner. I was utterly obsessed with him, which made the fact that I wouldn't see him for the next six weeks that much more heartbreaking.

"You go back to sleep?" his still groggy voice asked as he stepped closer to the bed.

"No," I answered simply. Any more words and he'd discover the current meltdown I was having.

"Are you hiding?" he prodded with a chuckle.

I swallowed down the lump of emotion clogging my throat and sniffed as quietly as I could. "No."

I could feel his curious gaze behind me. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Leggy..."

"Just quit, Liam, okay?" I snapped. "You need to get ready."

I felt his weight sink onto the expanse of mattress behind me. He had one of those giant California King beds and I was the size of a sixth grader. The thing was the size of a house compared to me. The dip Liam made as he slid his way over to me nearly swallowed me whole and I let out a little yelp as he tugged me into his lap.

"Alright, talk to me," Liam commanded as he turned me to face him, one of my legs curling around each of his hips. He only had a towel around his waist, and I was in nothing but his T-shirt from the day before, so maybe under different circumstances this position would've been more enjoyable, but at this moment, I couldn't think of anything other than the fact he'd be leaving in the next hour or so.

I shrugged, my eyes dodging his as if they were paid to. "There's nothing to talk about."

Liam glared at me disapprovingly. "Allegra."

"What, Liam? What?" I snapped, my eyes finally flying up to meet his. "What's to say? You're about to leave for almost two months! Why drag this out any more than we have to?"

I tried to lunge away from him, but those giant tree trunks he called arms banded around me like a vise. "Stop," he commanded with a bit of a growl. "Stop trying to avoid me and tell me what's going on. Please."

"It doesn't matter," I mumbled, water once again flooding my eyes.

"Listen to me," Liam commanded, taking my face in his hands, and forcing my eyes to meet his. "If you don't talk to me, baby, there's no chance of this working, okay? So let me in... please."

I sniffed again, unable to disguise it any longer. "You want it to work?"

Liam tilted his head at me like a curious puppy and gave me his standard, charming grin. "Of course, I do. Don't you?" I stayed silent, but nodded. "Is that what you're freaking out about? That when I leave, this all just goes away?" I sighed heavily and again just nodded. "Aww, Pixie."

Liam tugged me to his chest, tucking my head under his chin and squeezing tightly. He tilted his head so that he could brush his lips against my forehead and sighed. "Look, I'm not overly excited about leaving either, but I promise you, I PROMISE you that me shooting for the next six weeks does not mean that we are over, Legs. I'll come back and we'll pick right back up here, okay?"