Magic

At Night.

“Okay mum, so this needs to be paid.”
Adrian handed his mum the list of their unpaid bills for electricity, new pieces of equipment, and foodstuffs.

Jessica gave a long face as her eyes scrolled through the list.

“Mum, everything would be fine, right?” Adrian inquired, a little worried.

“Sure, of course. I would settle these bills ASAP!” She gave a tight-lipped smile. “But we need magic."

“Magic?”

“Yes, magic,” Jessica replied, holding her breath and releasing it with a soft sigh. “These feel like a mystery to me. I still don’t know how, but we would surely escape this.”

She jotted down the Os of zeros they were sinking in. Adrian scratched his head as a tired yawn escaped him. His mum placed her right comforting hand on his shoulder. Making him turn to her with his half-sleepy eyes.

“Oh, that reminds me...” Adrian jerked up and fixed his fingers into the side pocket of his ripped jeans. He took out a folded sheet of paper and handed it to his mother.

“What is this?”

“The school’s head teacher told me to give you this. It’s Stormie’s suspension notice.”

“Suspension again?” Jessica froze and stared at her son with wide eyes. “How come?”

It’s the third time Stormie has received a suspension notice at Whittier High School.

“Stormie threatened the team coach with Dragon. The headteacher said Stormie was acting out.” Adrian gave their mum her mini camera that was seized and saw the frightful picture of the coach that was taken. Jessica grabbed her head in confusion, thinking of how to convince Stormie, only if she would listen this time.

Meanwhile, Stormie was in her room watching a new movie, Among The Shadows. On the wall of her room were the pictures of the people she had frightened so far. Scary masks, werewolf posters, plastic vampire teeth, and, of course, a black cape hanging on the wall. Her onion-purple-themed room had the posters of her favorite horror movie characters, and with her little green chameleon at hand, Stormie felt a peace.

She focused her black eyes on the television screen as werewolf Randall Jackson fatally shot werewolf Harry Goldstone. Although Kristy was her favorite character.

The door busted open and Jessica busted in, annoyed. Stormie quickly pursed the video as her mum walked up to her, pointing the camera at her face. She chuckled, looking at Mr. Clayton’s expression.

“It’s not funny. And you took that chameleon to school again?” She gently placed it on her bed and her smile faded.

“Like seriously, this is getting out of hand, Stormie. Grow up! You know, it was okay when you were 10, 12, but now you’re 14.”

“I did it to defend Adrian. I did nothing wrong, Mum stop worrying about me! And I am taking responsibility, not acting childish. I should be the hero here, not the villain. You should thank me-”

“Just shut up, okay?” Jessica was psyched up as she grabbed the front portion of her hair. “Whenever I’m talking, you listen.”

Her eyes glittered, and it looked as if she was close to tears.

“Why can’t you be more like your brother, huh? Why can’t you just be a girl? In the real world, there is no werewolf, no vampires, no aliens, no Hulk, no Joker, no Nurse Ratched, these are all made-up fantasies, okay?”