Finding Answers

It was time for breakfast. Jessica, Adrian, Stormie, and Sir Shkodra were at the table eating.

“Did you hear that loud noise last night? The wailing and barking. I think there’s something about the animals around here.” Jessica lamented and her kids looked at each other, then turned away quietly from each other.

They haven’t said a word to each other since what happened last night.

“Wolfsberg can be a very dangerous place at night, Sir Shkodra admitted while his cold eyes studied the kids.

“You have not touched your food.” They turned to her, and then back onto their plates.

“I’m not hungry,” Adrian replied, and.... escaped him.

Stormie just kept quiet, staring at the wafers, cookies, flakes, and milk placed in front of him.

“Does anyone want some good news?”

“Yes, please!” they impatiently chorused in unison.

Jessica blushed at them with excitement.

“Looks like we’re going to keep the house.”

“Which house?” Stormie asked.

Sir Shkodra glared vividly at her while sipping his coffee.

“Our house.” She replied. “Jerry said we got an offer from a big organization to buy Wolfsberg Manor. We’re going to get together later, so if it’s as good as he said, we could settle our bills-”

“Forgive me, ma’am.” Sir Shkodra snapped with a gibber. “I’d have to leave.” He wiped his mouth with a hanky and swapped out with a sneer.

Jessica stared at him, flabbergasted. She couldn’t comprehend why he was acting out.

‘Was it because of the house?’ Jessica frowned and pulled her chair back.

“Excuse me, guys.” She said before going after Sir Shkodra. “I need to talk to him.”

Adrian and Stormie stared blankly at their food and then turned to each other. With a lot of words and questions in their mind.

“Sir Shkodra! Sir Shkodra!! “ Jessica followed him into the kitchen. “Excuse me, Sir Shkodra!!!”

He replied, raising a carving knife to her face. Jessica was fright and gasped a word incoherently. "Omigod!"

“I have taken care of Wolfsburg Manor and Novak’s family my entire life. This is all I have left and now you want to take that way from me?” Sir Shkodra gnashed his teeth at her.

“I will do my best to find you another home, I promise.”

“I have no other home.” He replied in his thick German accent.

“Understand, Sir Shkodra. I have to do what’s best for my family.”

“Trust me, you do not know what is best for your family.”

“Excuse me?”

“This home is my family, Jessica. You do not understand the darkness that will fall before you if-“

“Okay, now you’re freaking me out here, Sir Shkodra! Just take a moment and breathe. Calm down and let’s solve this issue like adults.”

“Put the knife down, please.” She begged, opening her palms to him.

He obeyed.

“Thank you,” Jessica muttered with a sigh of relief. “Look, I’m sorry that things turned out this way and I don’t want us to have any misunderstandings, but I hope you understand.”