Mate

Her foster dad, Tobias, was at it again. Most nights, he gets home drunk and comes home beating her up for his miserable life. It happens like this and she ends up covering it up so no one notices.

Hiding behind the old sofa, Tobias smashed a wine bottle at her and she let out a painful cry, holding her forehead.

“You, witch! Why haven’t you made dinner?” His grumpy voice yelled out.

“I had to work extra time at the grocery store today,” Maria explained in her German accent. “There were more customers because of the fest. My boss asked me to stay.”

She felt a sudden wetness in her palms and looked at it. Blood rolled down her forehead, and she wiped it off with tears.

“So you respect your boss more than me now? You defy me without a second thought?”

“No... No, it’s not like that.” she tried explaining.

“Then it’s how? Tell me!” He moved closer, and she fell back, defeated.

“Thwack! Thwack!” Tobias threw Maria hard blows till her face turned red. She squeaked, receiving more beatings. Maria fell to the ground, lifeless, and he grabbed her by the shirt. Throwing more blows at her face. The only sound heard in the dark room was the squashy sounds of his fist against her face, thud, and grunts of pain.

“Grrrrrrr Grrrrr!!!” A loud, disturbing noise came from outside as if something was at the door.

“Grrrrrrr! Grrrr!!”

“Who is that?!” Tobias sizzled.

“Grrrr! Grrrrr!”

Silence.

“I said who the hell is that?!” he cursed, fuming anger burning in his eyes. He stood up to get the door when Adrian forcefully busted in. The hard wooden door smashed as he proceeded.

Seeing the wolf, Tobias’ eyes widened. He came back to consciousness with heavy breaths as if it would be his last.

“Grrr!” Adrian growled at him aggressively as his golden-yellow eyes narrowed at him.

As if he was ready to give him a good chew, but Maria’s heavy breath interrupted. Tobias took a step, opening the window beside him. About to take a bite, he flipped over the window and tumbled to the well, which was left open in their backyard. About to set off his hunter’s instincts, Adrian left him there, in the well. Not caring what his end would be.

Not caring to check on him, Adrian walked to Maria. His eyes concentrated on hers as he started licking her blood. Unable to transform into his human form.

Just then, someone broke in. It was sir Shkodra. He had a black suitcase in hand. The room was so dark that he squinted his eyes to see. Adrian walked out of the dark, and Sir Shkodra held him in a hug.

“I got it right, Adrian.” He opened the suitcase and brought out the solution. He had spent almost five hours working on it and, hopefully, it works.

Sir Shkodra gently fixed the needle to the syringe and drew the solution, which was glowing green. He then deepened the injection into his neck.

Immediately, Adrian’s bones creaked. Reshaping unnaturally as to shift to deform in a human skeleton. With a little pain, he transformed into a human in seconds.

It healed Adrian from all the beatings and scratches. Rushing to Maria, who was still in the darkness. Adrian was unsure if she saw him or not, but he was concerned about her. Taking her outside, Sir Shkodra handed him a tiny bottle.