o. prologue

>PROLOGUE<

A famous spy can also be known as an awful one, which is why no one knows Byzantine

A famous spy can also be known as an awful one, which is why no one knows Byzantine. She's done nothing but her best ever since she graduated from The W.I.S.E's spy academy. Inside the institution she's known as a perfectionist and a control freak, but even she can admit that there is no such thing as a perfect plan.

Sitting right there in the middle of a mahogany colored table, her head remained lowered. She knows who Agent Twilight is, they studied in the same school. Let's rephrase that, she hated Agent Twilight. He was always one step ahead of her, if Byzantine gets 100% then Twilight would get 101%. She wanted to refuse working with him, but her refusal could be taken as treason.

God knows the officials of this country are easily offended. "So you want to play house with Agent Twilight?" she asks while raising her eyebrows. The plan wasn't perfect, everything wasn't laid out the way she wanted it to be. She'd have to look for a child, then make sure that the child was a genius. It was too much work for just two spies.

"It's not playing house, Agent Torch. It's a legit mission, one that our entire country depends on" the man retorts while adjusting his glasses, he was warned about the woman's temper but nothing could prepare him for her calmness. She seemed unaffected by the entire ordeal, mildly annoyed but yes, she'd still agree to the plan.

"If you succeed in this plan, we are willing to promote you. In any department that you wish." the official offers while she chuckles bitterly. They think that women are shallow beings, huh. But being the head of the defense ministry doesn't sound too bad.

Byzantine was an ambitious woman, rivalry and work can never function together. She'll have to pretend that she tolerates Agent Twilight. For this country, and the people. She looks up and stares at the man, "Fine, I'll accept" she announced while standing up. It was her time to show everyone that she was better and smarter than Agent Twilight.

Walking out of the meeting room, the cold air welcomes her. She turns to her side, feeling someone standing beside her. "I was hoping you'd disagree" he mutters while she rolls her eyes at him. Typical Twilight, always wishing misfortune for the woman. "And what? Show them that I'm a coward. They asked me for this position first, you just beat me in accepting it" she answers curtly while sitting beside him.

On the first year of studying together, they were like two peas on a pod. But after the second year, well it seemed like another level of rivalry formed between them. The silence between the both only proved to be a momentary ceasefire.

"Did they tell you about the details yet?" she asked while lighting a cigarette. After graduating she realized that she'd be better off without any friends, after all friends are liabilities and she was a spy. So she turned to smoking to keep all the pain away. He chuckled while turning to look at her, nothing about her changed.

"I bet they would've told you if you didn't dash off" he retorted while taking his hat off and placing it on his lap. She laughs, and turns to look at him. Almost staring into his eyes. "It was too hot there" she replied while turning to look at the vast horizon once more.

He stands up and her eyebrows wrinkled slightly. What is he doing now? He raises his arms and smiles. "I think we should start off in a clean slate." he announced while holding her hands and making her stand up. She frowns harder while he chuckles. "I'm Twilight and you are?" he asked acting as if it was the first time they met each other.

She smiles. Giving him one of her rarest smiles. "I'm Torch" she greeted while shaking his hands. "So you live around here?" he joked while they both sat down.