o. chapter one

> CHAPTER ONE: IT'S A NEW DAY <

The small flat seemed luxurious on the outside

The small flat seemed luxurious on the outside. It was definitely a place you'd imagine a respected family to live in. Byzantine wraps her arms around Loid, if they were expected to act like a couple, they might as well do a good job at it. She turns to look at him while they continue following the realtor.

This is the family room" he announced while Byzantine looked around. There could still be wiretaps looming around, the last time she was in Westalia–the entire government was chasing their tails trying to track her.

"Fully furnished, and air conditioned. Umm sir?" the man asked, trying to understand why Loid was looking at every detail of the house. Byzantine facepalms, she wonders how he passed acting classes at W.I.S.E.

"Sorry, my husband is a very meticulous man" she reasoned while giving the man a smile. If they wanted to succeed in this mission they needed to evade suspicion, plus they still haven't found a child to adopt. It would be useless getting caught this early. "We'll take it" Loid mutters while walking back beside the woman.

"Then Mister Forger, may I have your signature on this document?" the realtor asks while he smiles and sits on one of the sofas. "This is an amazing house" Byzantine compliments while sitting down beside both of the men. She'd hoped for a smaller house, especially since this one made it seem like they were rich.

This is just the first step. She looks at Loid, singing a soft song in her head. Loid Forger, Psychiatrist. Byzantine Forger, housewife. Opening her eyes once more, both of the men were already standing up. "Alright, Mr. and Mrs. Forger. I'll leave now, but feel free to call me if you find anything wrong with the house" the man bids farewell while walking out of the door.

Loid sits back down, "What do you think?" he asks while looking at Byzantine's face. It was hard to determine whether or not she liked the place. "It's beautiful, but I wished the floors were herringbone though. But there's no use changing it, they're still new" Byzantine admits while he rolls his eyes.

"They're perfect, plus Herringbone floorings make me dizzy" he replied while standing up. "I guess we should move our things in" she exhaled while trying to keep a straight face. They were already beginning to sound like a couple. "We can adopt tomorrow. It's too late today" he muttered while walking out of the door.

Byzantine grew up in a lonely neighborhood, where crime and dirt festered every single day. It didn't help with the fact that her parents left her. Which is why she was a little delighted that they were using an orphan instead of a trained child spy.

"Are you sure we're in the right place?" she questioned while looking around. The gate was torn to shreds and there was trash everywhere. This wasn't a safe place for any child to grow. "Yes" he replied not wanting to expound on the thought. After all, there could be people watching them.

She knocks on the door, careful to not stain her red gloves. A small man opened the door, he seemed intoxicated. "Huh, you want to adopt?" he asked while Loid nodded. "I was told that we could adopt here" he implored while the smaller man nodded. "Take whichever you want" he slurred while they followed him down the grimy orphanage.

The children were staring at them with wide eyes, hoping that they would be their future parents. Loid shares a look with Byzantine, "We were hoping to adopt someone who could read and write" he mentioned while the man turned around. "Well in that case, Anya!" he screamed while they all walked towards the end room.

There was a small child, not older than four sitting on the floor with a dragon plushie. "She's the smartest kid here, she doesn't talk much" he muttered while staring at Anya. She was too tiny and frail. Eden needs someone who's six years old, she's too young. "Six" Anya replied while staring at the black-haired woman.

"What?" she asked, trying to understand what the child was saying. "I'm six" Anya replied while she frowned. She couldn't possibly. The child begins standing on her tiptoes, imploring that she was taller. Byzantine chuckles, she's amusing–and cute.

Anya reaches towards a newspaper and Loid follows after the kid. Loid leans towards the table trying to look at what Anya was writing. To his surprise she was able to answer every word in the crossword. "Looks like we have a genius at hand" Byzantine compliments while walking towards the small round table.

"It's impressive that she's able to answer this fast," she repeated with a smile. We're gonna need this girl. "We'll take her" Byzantine states while Loid turns around. "What forms are we going to sign?" Loid asks with a smile while staring back at Anya. At this rate, we're going to get to Eden in no time.

"No worries just take her already" the man slurred while Byzantine looked right back at Anya. Acting like a mother is too easy for me, but actually being one? I've never thought about it.

"Are you okay with that?" Loid asks while Anya nods. She was like Byzantine as a child, always too quiet but smart enough.

Loid stares at Anya while keeping an arm around Byzantine. "Listen little girl" Loid begins while Anya frowns. "Anya" she corrected while Loid hummed. "Listen, Anya" he corrected while squatting down so they could be on the same level. "You'll be our daughter starting today. But we'll tell people that you're our biological daughter. Okay" he questioned while Anya nodded.

"Yeah" she replied with an ounce of determination. Byzantine stares at both of them. "Which means you'll call us mama and papa, or mom and dad. You choose" she announced while twisting the knob to the flat and walking towards their house.

Anya walks inside of the room, watching how her eyes would twinkle at the sight. "A t.v!" she exclaimed with hidden excitement while Byzantine carried her to the chair. "Don't sit too close, your eyes will fall off" she muttered while Loid stares at them. "You can watch anything you want" he stated while taking off his hat and placing it on the hat stand.

The television turns on as Spy Wars begins to play. "Anya likes this" she says with a smile while Byzantine ruffles her hair. "Isn't it too violent, Loid?" Byzantine asks while Loid shrugs. Violence is the least of their worries right now. "How exciting!" she exclaimed while following Byzantine to the door.

"Adventure" she muttered while hugging the older woman's legs. "Anya, I have to go somewhere. I'm leaving you with Loid" she replied while Anya huffs. That wasn't fair, Byzantine was definitely going on an adventure.

Anya walks towards the Living Room with a huff while staring at the couch reluctantly. Her new parents were really really cool, the only downside to it was that they never brought her to any adventures. "I'm stopping by the groceries. Is there anything you'd like?" Byzantine asks while Anya nods. "Nuts," she replied while her mom nodded. Waving goodbye and walking away from the house.