o. chapter sixteen

<CHAPTER SIXTEEN: THAT'S THE WAY I LOVE YOU<

Anya sets her bag down in a counter with a small scowl, as she walks towards the sofa, she keeps her head low

Anya sets her bag down in a counter with a small scowl, as she walks towards the sofa, she keeps her head low. Loid frowns while placing his newspaper down, "Are you alright?" he questions with a hint of concern while Byzantine places the child on her lap. As the parents shared a glance, Anya crosses her arms. 

"Anya didn't get a stella, the guy from the other class lied--none of us got stellas" she defended herself while Loid chuckles, his suspicions were correct. Byzantine smiles while ruffling her hair, "That's alright Anya, I'm sure that you did your best" she comforts while kissing the child's temples. 

Byzantine's guilt doubled, maybe she pressured Anya too much. It wasn't her fault, the agency was also pressuring both Loid and By. She just couldn't believe that she let the pressure get to her. "I'm sure there are more chances for you to get a stella" Loid replies while ruffling the child's hair. 

He stands up and stretches his hands, "By, I need to talk to you" he announces like a school teacher who was prepared to scold a rude kinder-gardener. Byzantine frowns and lets out a sigh. "Alright, Anya you can eat these peanuts but leave some for us" she warns while walking towards Loid who was tapping his feet impatiently in the kitchen. 

She walks towards him, trying to avoid his gaze. Things have been hazy between them these past few weeks, it didn't help with the fact that there were growing feelings between them. "What did you want to talk about?" she asks while leaning on the counter and trying to seem nonchalant. 

He holds her chin and forces her to look at him. "I'm angry because of you" he states while she grabs his forearm and puts it down. 

"Angry?" she questions while trying to keep her voice low. He nods while turning towards the kettle and pouring both of them a cup of tea. "Disappointed. I expected more of you" he replies while taking a sniff of his matcha. 

"It was my fault, I think I pressured Anya to win dodgeball." she apologizes while looking at him. 

He looks at Anya who was watching her favorite show, then back at his wife. "I guess we're quits again, plus I was the one who pressured her first to learn math" he clarifies while handing her the cup of tea. 

She reaches for his hand while he smiles at her. "There wasn't really a textbook for parenting, we're treating her better than our parents treated us--or lack thereof parents" she comforts while rubbing his back comfortingly. He stares at her and takes a deep breath. 

"I guess we're both mosaics of people that loved us" she jokes while he looks away. "Well your the only person whose ever loved me, so my mosaic would look just like you" he states while she frowns. "Remember that time where we got stranded in Westania and you told me that you loved me. And I realized that you were the only person who could scream that they loved me. I didn't deserve that" he mutters while playing with the fallen sugar grains on the counter. 

She sighs, and pulls him towards the hidden part of the kitchen. Just to make sure that Anya wouldn't hear any words of their conversation. 

"I've been trying to avoid this conversation" she states while his frown deepens. She would feel like a jerk if she lied and said that she didn't love him, because he was deserving of love. This war orphan was deserving of all the love this world offered. 

"Because I've felt that way ever since I met you, I fell first. But we can't be like this Loid, people like us aren't meant for love. All we've been taught is that survival means running away, and I can't run away from you if I admit that I love you" she complains while he looks at her straight in the face, as if he was reading her features of any signs of pity or lie. 

"But that's what you're doing right now--admitting that you love me" Loid facepalmed while she groans and crosses her arms. "Well yeah, but--fine. I love you Loid, and I can't see us being together. I hate this, I hate playing house and lying to everyone" she yells while walking away from him. 

He sighs. 

Oh, that's how she felt. 

Oh. 

----

Dedication: