o. chapter twelve

>CHAPTER TWELVE: SUSPICIONS LEAD TO DELUSIONS

A/N: very short chapter

It was a silent day for the Forgers, Anya had just returned home from school and Loid was currently teaching her

It was a silent day for the Forgers, Anya had just returned home from school and Loid was currently teaching her. Byzantine looks the the small family and sighs, fractions were hard and the man was downplaying Anya's struggle. Her thought was broken off by a loud doorbell. "Do you have visitors?" she asks Loid while he stood up and looked at the window. 

There stood, Yuri Briar with a paper bag at hand. "It seems like you're the one who has a visitor" he replied while sitting back down. He was trying to hide his frown while she only groaned, "Should I open the door?" she questioned while putting on a robe, he looked at her and nodded. He was suspicious of Yuri "It would be rude" he muttered while going back to teaching Anya. 

The woman walks down the stairs and opens the door, she was nervous. Yuri Briar worked for the government and he might as well be there to track them down. "Hi, is there anything wrong?" she asked while peeking on the small gap in the door. He smiled at her and scratched his neck, "I just wanted to be friends" he replied with a small grin and she hummed. 

"Well it's cold outside, you're welcome to step inside" she offered while he pushed the door further and begun walking to their flat. "If you don't mind me asking, how did you know which floor we were in?" she asked while trailing behind him in a confused demeanor. He turned to look at her and said "I rang all the doorbells, then I saw your brother in the window". 

He's good, which makes me suspect him more. "That's very smart" she retorted while they both stopped in front of the door. "And uhh, that was my husband" she corrected while he nodded. She opens the door and Loid stands up, seeing the guest he frowns deep. "Hello, who are you" he defended while keeping his hands crossed. He didn't like this guy. 

"Yuri Briar" the man answered while shaking Loid's hands. "You should stay for dinner, Yuri" she offered with a smile while Yuri only shook his head, "I wouldn't mean to impose" he answered shyly while Loid looked at him. "You should stay" he repeated while staring at him like Yuri was a prey. "Yes, Loid's cooking is amazing" the woman compliments while leading Yuri to their Living Room. 

"Hi" Anya mutters while doodling on her notebook, "I was trying to teach her fractions but now she's drawing" Loid sighs while going to the kitchen. 

"What's your name?" Yuri asks while staring at the pink haired child. "Anya" she replied while staring at the man with wide eyes--like she could read his mind. "Anya don't stare it's rude" the woman scolds while placing a cup of tea down for the man to drink. "So uhh, Yuri--your sister lives around here?" the woman questions remembering his story from yesterday. 

It was plausible that he in fact had a sister but she was still a little skeptical. "Yeah--she works for the city" he replied trying to leave out as much details as possible. "I also brought you something--" he mutters while handing her a bottle of wine. It looked prestigious and expensive, which made the woman doubt him more. 

"It must've been expensive--you really shouldn't have brought anything" she coos while holding the bottle close to her, "I bought it from a mission in Hungary--the old restaurant owner was gracious enough to sell it to me--and it was expensive. I was supposed to give it to my sister but I remembered how she acted when wine is around" he explains with a slight chuckle. 

"Tell me the price--we can reimburse you" she offers--He's such a liar, the old restaurant owner is dead, the new restaurant owner is his son. Let me guess, he'll say that the bottle is worth 200--typical brochure from Westania. "200" the man answers while her eyes darken. 

It's 300--because of inflation. "You don't need to reimburse me--it's a gift actually." he chuckles while Loid watches them. He seems to be catching onto Yuri. "That's nice of you" she answered while sitting beside Anya. 

"Umm, I actually just stopped by to give you the wine. I live a few blocks away--I should really be going now" he mutters while standing up and dusting his pants. "You have to stay for dinner, we can open the wine" she offers while he only smiles. "No thank you, that's too much" he answered while picking up his coat and walking out of the front door. 

Loid trails after him and locks the door shut, "Wha-" she gets shushed by him while he walks around the house looking for tap-wires. When he sees none, as sigh of relief exits from his mouth. "He's suspicious right?" she asks while he nods, motioning towards Anya. "Anya is scared of him" Anya states while going back to doodling. 

Yuri Briar was someone they had to look out for, if they wanted this mission to succeed. 

---