o. chapter eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: A SPY'S JOB 

ANYA'S FIRST STELLA

"Look this way Anya, you're so cute" Byzantine coos while pressing the camera button. It was her first Stella, and the family was quite proud of their child. "I can't believe that you were able to hear a person drowning that far away" Loid hums while Anya freezes. 

They can't find out about Anya's power. 

"Mom, Dad. Since Anya has a stella, Anya wants a prize" she states while crossing her arms and staring maliciously at her parents. "We have nuts in the fridge" Byzantine answers while Anya huffs. Not that kind of prize. "Are you going to ask for a castle again?" Loid deadpans while she shakes her head. 

"Anya wants a dog" she states with a smirk while Byzantine sighs. Dogs are scary, they can maul you alive. 

"We'll see" Loid answers while ruffling the child's hair. 

----

 A DAY BEFORE AQUARIUM D-DAY. 

It was foolish to think that there would be a world where spies didn't exist. Where the sun shone on the horizon, where fireworks exploded and gunshots were forgotten. But it wasn't foolish to hope for a world that didn't have spies...right? 

Byzantine sighs while taking a huff of her cigar, it had been a while since she's smoked. Mothers didn't smoke, at least that's what she believed. "There's going to be some information traded in the subway. Can you do it?" the loud voice of Agent Darlington rang through her head while she coughs silently. 

Her lungs weren't used to smoke now, it's been a year. 

"I might not be able to do it, but Agent Twilight will." she replies. It was of utmost importance that the mother stayed at home, because that was how traditional conservative families were--and they wanted to appear that way. "Are you even sure that you still have your edge?" he questions while she rolls her eyes. 

Why does he always keeps asking questions? 

"That's not your problem" she snaps while walking away. Lost my edge? Bullshit. 

She opens the door to her house, "I'm home" she yells out while Anya walks towards her. "Anya's peanuts" she mutters while the older woman hands her the entire grocery bag. "Loid, you should take the subway" which is another code word for: Information at the subway. 

If Byzantine could complain she would definitely have a rant about the organizations low supply of agents. This mission was supposed to be meticulous and carefully planned but they were sending the both of them in different side-quests all throughout the days. 

It was hard being overworked, but the Forger family believed that it was for the greater good of both countries. "Again? I was hoping to spend more time at home" he complains while closing his eyes. "You look tired, I can do this. Plus, I've been overloading you" she mutters while sitting down beside him. 

"I'll do this one thing then talk to the people in charge after" he tells himself while standing up and reaching towards the coat rack and grabbing his hat. With a loud thud, they were alone in their house once more. 

---

Byzantine sits on the sofa with a book in hand. Anya was already asleep by then. Loid opens the door to their house and places his hat down, "We're going to the aquarium tomorrow" he announces and she looks at him with a confused stare. "What is this about?" she asks while he sits down beside her. 

"I heard the old ladies talking about me. Apparently I was always out, they think I'm cheating" he relays while she sighs. It wasn't unusual for old ladies to be gossiping, for her it wasn't anything alarming. Just small people talking about other small people. "They aren't old ladies" Byzantine corrects while he freezes. 

"They looked like old ladies" he defended while she sighed. "The aquarium? But my feet hurt from doing 10 missions yesterday" she complains while he rolls his eyes. "10? Try 12" he complains back while they both laid down on the couch. His hands around her body, the book long forgotten. 

"I'm 5 seconds away from quitting" she complains once more while he chuckles. The woman was all bark, and no bite. But it would benefit both of them if they just quit. They can't do that though, the world still needs them. 

"You really have to talk to the organization. Especially that girl with the witch hat" she orders while he frowns. "Witch hat?" he asks not knowing which one she was referring to. "Yeah, the girl who always had tea. You both always had this weird chemistry together" she replies and he remembers immediately. "Are you jealous?" he jokes while she glares at him. 

"Loid Forger!" she screams. 

---

AQUARIUM D-DAY. 

Loid walks towards his small family while Byzantine looks at him in a concerned manner. "Are you alright?" she asks while he nods. "Just a little tired" he explains while placing on his hat. She opens the door while he carries Anya, "Oh, Forger Family. Where are you going?" one of the 'old ladies' from the upper floor asked while Loid smiled shyly. 

"We're going to the aquarium" Byzantine replies while they all walked away. They wouldn't want to get caught up with those chismosas. "You were right, I felt it when I walked pass them" she jokes while he rolls his eyes. 

She glances towards the soda shop inside the subway. Shit, they wanna talk. "I'm gonna buy some drinks" she states while walking towards the shop. "Agent Torch" the old woman greets while she sighs. "We can't do a mission right now, we're fulfilling our main mission" she states while turning towards her family. 

Anya waves at her and she waves back. "Mom the train is coming, Anya doesn't want to be late to the aquarium" she screams while Byzantine sighs. "Be patient" she screams back while the older woman stands up. 

"You are already one step in front of me Agent Torch! The mission will be-" 

"No that's a coincidence-" 

"In the aquarium-" 

"Can I have coffee and an orange soda-" 

"They placed the nuclear codes inside one of the penguins, please get it before Westanian officials do" the woman orders while a sigh escapes from her mouth. No. 

----

Dedications: 

This is where season one ends, I hope you liked it

This is where season one ends, I hope you liked it. I'll be reading the manga so the other chapters following this might have spoilers.