69

It's quiet, way too quiet, and I can hear the blood rushing in my head.
Jung Wook opens the stack of papers in front of him.
"You know what this is?" He looks up at me but I shake my head. He continues, "This is a copy of your contract that you signed when you started your employment here."
I glance at the paper, but still, I stay silent.
"When you started this job, it was Chan who convinced me to give you this chance in the first place. And I have to admit that you became a real asset to this company."

Jung Wook folds his hands and stares me down. His eagle eyes scan my face, but I can't meet his eyes.
He continues, "And when you asked to organize a vacation for the boys I applauded your initiative. You are full of good ideas, Olivia. But then this happened."
He points a small remote at a screen on the wall and it opens a newsfeed.
Countless headlines and pictures with the same content.
Chan and I. Making out in public.
I avert my eyes, but Jung Wook's face slowly reddens and I realize his cold calmness was nothing but a mask, a desperate attempt to keep his anger professional.

"So, my question to you is, what we're you thinking?"
He finally looks at me again and I take a deep breath.
"Mr. Jung, I want to apologize. I never planned on anything like this to happen," I blurt out, "Chan and I just fell into something that-... it just somehow happened, but I-..."
"I'm not interested to know how it happened," Jung Wook interrupts me, "We are here to discuss wether or not you have a future in this company, and how we're going to recover from this. I don't know if you realize just what kind of scandal you pushed Chan into. All of Straykids, frankly."
"I do, but it wasn't my intention!"
"That doesn't matter!" Jung Wook slams his hand onto the table. "They're down ten points on the charts. They're trending on Twitter Worldwide and lost potential deals with two sponsors already. Our stats are overflowing with messages from unhappy fans. You know what destroys the chances of idols in this industry? Unhappy fans."

I'm shrinking in my seat, but a small part of me wants to disagree.
I've been in contact with Stays, and if they're anything at all, they're supportive of Straykids and their choices.
Besides, it's not like I forced Chan to be with me. And even though I want to protect him, he is as much part of this mess as I am.
However, I've seen the comments beneath my posts and I know there is a big part of the fans that has never agreed with me. And hate can be a megaphone for one's thoughts.

Jung Wook brushes his hands over his face and for the first time I see the man behind the mask. He's tired and annoyed, exhausted. This must have ruined his day as much as mine. Scandals like these can bring down entire companies.
He takes a deep breath and clears his throat.
"The Chairmen and I have decided not to sue you, which is good for you. We've decided a way to brush all of this under the carpet, and I think you'll be more than happy with it."
Sue me? For what?
But I wait, not letting my confusion slip out, as he says, "The company will issue a public statement in which it will be explained that the pictures are false. You and Chan are prohibited from seeing each other, you are to end your relationship, and you're barred from dance practice for a month while we wait for the scandal to die down. Furthermore, you'll be paid a compensation of fifteen million won since you can't be seen working here for a month. That means you ultimately are allowed to come back and get to keep your job at this company."

My mouth drops open.
"I-... what?"
I lean back and my eyebrows furrow.
"You're trying to buy me out of a relationship with Chan?" 
Just how shallow do they think I am? This is ridiculous. It hits me just then, that these men really  think I am with Chan for the exposure, for the money. That I've planned this. That I'm just some sort of monster trying to come out filthy rich on the other side.
I narrow my eyes. "I love Chan. I want to be with him. What makes you think I would choose money over him?"

Jung Wook stays quiet but he watches me closely.
"What if I say no to your deal?"
I simply have to know, though a part of me is screaming to keep my mouth shut.
I love my job and the work that I do. But if I say no to Jung Wook's deal, I'll be branded by Stays and Korean media with all sorts of categories. And I'd be losing Chan, since there is no way this company is going to let us within fifty feet of one another for the next few years. It's not going to end well for me either way.
Jung Wook finally opens my employment contract to a page towards the end and pulls out a neon marker, underlining a few lines on the paper.

"According to page 23, paragraph nineteen, you are in official breach of contract. It states very clearly that any employee of JYP Entertainment is prohibited from starting personal relationships with the idols under contract," he says, "Of course, since part of our agreement was showcasing your friendship with the members of Straykids on social media platforms, we have taken the liberty of adding an extra paragraph to your contract, in which it states that you are prohibited to take your platonic relationship with the members to a romantic relationship."
I stare at him. I haven't opened my contract in months, and to be completely honest, I don't think I read most of it before signing it.
He adds slowly, "Should you decide not to take the deal, you will be discharged from your position, effective immediately."

I don't know if it had changed my mind or stopped me from falling for Chan, if I had known about this clause in my contract. You can't control who you fall in love with.
I sit back and think while he places the contract in front of me.
Breach of contract. If I'm lucky, they'll still refrain from suing me for whatever they have against me.
But the more I think about it, the clearer my answer becomes.
I stand from my chair and take a deep breath.
"Sir, I hereby resign from my employment position at JYP Entertainment," I say and try not to let it show how much I'm shaking. "I am very grateful for everything I learned here and all the opportunities this company has provided me with. But respectfully, it's beneath my dignity you thought you could buy me out of the relationship I have with Chan. I'll be seeing myself out."

I turn to leave, but Jung Wook speaks up and lets me halt in my step.
"What makes you think Chan didn't take the deal? Why are you so sure he wants to see you anymore?"
I close my eyes. I don't know anything.
I don't know what they offered him. I don't know what they said to him, if they have talked to him at all already. I don't know if they have threatened to eliminate him from Straykids or to dissolve the band all together. The members are Chan's life and I wouldn't hold it against him if he had chosen them.
I'd be heartbroken, but not surprised.
"That is out of my control," I answer him then, "I only know what I feel for Chan and it's worth more than any money and any job. I will stand by him for as long as he wants me. But I would never do anything that would sabotage his life or career. If he chooses to break our relationship off, then I will accept it. But until then, he's all I want."

Then I finally cross the floor and leave before Jung Wook can say anything else to me.