Chapter 08

TW: this chapter alludes to Sexual assault briefly (there will be ✈️✈️ when the rest of the chapter makes no mention of it if you would like to skip forward)

"Crap, I forgot my notebook in the mess hall" I groaned as I came to a stop on our way back to the barracks one night.

"Ooh, better get it before someone reads your private thoughts" Trace teased with a smirk.

"Not that notebook, my class notes" I corrected her train of thought with a slight laugh and the roll of my eyes.

"I can go back with you if you want" Bradshaw offered politely, not liking the idea of anyone walking alone in the dark.

"No, I'll be fine. It's been a long day for all of us, you should get back" I waved it off calmly. "I'll meet you inside, Trace, don't wait up for me" I pointed back to her as I started walking backwards towards the mess hall, giving my friends a wave as I turned to walk properly.

"There it is" I found my notebook sitting on our table where I had left it. I grabbed it and started walking out again, walking through the dimly lit pathway back towards the barracks, nobody in sight. I looked over my shoulder cautiously as I thought I heard a pebble being kicked but found nothing there. "Odd" I mumbled to myself before turning forward and bumping straight into another cadet.

~~~

"Hey, what took you so long? Get lost?" Trace called out teasingly from the bathroom as she heard the door shut to our room. I clamped a hand over my mouth as I choked out a sob and slid to the floor my back pressed against the wall and my notebook stuffed between my knees and my chest. "Nicole?" She quickly set aside her toothbrush which she had rinsed off before spinning around to check on me. "What happened?" She came over, crouching in front of me carefully as though I was an injured and frightened animal.

I shook my head 'no' at her, more sobs bubbling up. With a clear frown Trace gently took my notebook, setting it on my bed before she shifted to sit beside me. Her arm came over my shoulder, rubbing up and down on my arm as I leaned my head onto her shoulder for support.

"I'm here when you're ready to talk" she offered, having a gut feeling of the general idea of what happened to me. I don't know how long we sat like that but I remember her getting me up off the floor, instructing me to brush my teeth and get my pyjamas on. Her hands gently took out my bun, running a brush through it a few times to get rid of the knots that had formed over the day.

"Thank you" I mumbled the words softly in the darkness of our room, Trace and I both tucked into our own beds.

"Of course, that's what best friends are for" Trace replied and I could tell she was being honest through her worry for me.

~~~

I woke up early like always, tying my sneakers onto my feet as Trace started to come to life as well.

"Where are you going?" She grumbled out in a sleepy voice, stretching her arms and rubbing her eyes.

"I'm going for a run" I shrugged back as though nothing had happened the night before, routine being the one constant in my life since I was a kid.

"Wanna wait up for a few minutes and I'll come with you" she offered, just like old times when we would both run together.

"Yeah, that would be nice" I smiled over at her. The two of us made our way onto the field where Bradshaw was already waiting for us.

"Took you guys long enough, I thought you ditched me" Bradshaw joked as he stood up from where he was stretching in the grass. "Is everything alright?" He looked between us when neither of us laughed along at his joke or came up with a witty comeback.