Chapter 31

I had decided to get some fresh air that evening on our way to the Hard Deck after work, celebrating Daniels departure. I had been taking in the cool air with a walk to the bar when some guys from behind me started calling out to me.

"Hey, little lady, need some company tonight?"

"Where are you heading all alone?"

"Wait up!"

"We don't bite"

"Fuck off!" I shouted back over my shoulder.

"She's a feisty one"

At that I stopped completely and waited for them to catch up as they had smirks on their faces, a group of four.

"Don't you know when to shut up?" I asked with a fierce glare.

"Don't you?" They shot back. A truck pulled up beside us yet I ignored it until someone was at my side.

"Why don't you guys, leave this nice lady alone?" Hangman's voice caught me off guard as I looked over at him in shock. "Now" he spoke more sternly and the guys walked off, muttering whatever's aside from one of them.

"Let your man come to your rescue, bitch"

Hangman nodded to me, letting me finish this real quick. I swiftly punched the guy and nodded, satisfied with my work.

"Come on" Hangman said offering me a drive the rest of the way.

"Thanks for helping me back there" I told him when he parked the truck, the drive having been silent.

"Don't mention it" he waved it off, getting out of the truck as we made our way into the bar.

"Though I didn't really need your help" I joked, getting back to our normal selves.

"Really you mention it to anyone in there and I'll deny it" he joked back. "I may be an ass most of the time, but nobody messes with naval aviators" he pulled the door open and we joined the others. The evening was calmer than most, me avoiding the alcohol after the night before.

~~~

"Good morning, Sunshine" Rooster greeted as I got out of my car at the beach, walking down to meet the others.

"Anyone know why we were told to meet here for training?" I looked around, not seeing Maverick yet.

"Nope" Phoenix shook her head.

"Good morning aviators!" Maverick called as he walked towards us from the Hard Deck parking lot.

Cyclone entered the base that morning to an unusual quietness. He passed the classroom, finding it empty. He moved to the common room, stepping inside to find it was also empty. Walking out into he hanger he stood in a row of jets, nobody in sight. Something was clearly going on, and Maverick was clearly behind it.

Hangman tossed the football in the air, spinning it on his finger as the sun beat down on us all. Two pilots stood head to head each holding a football as we gathered on the beach, Hondo blowing the whistle for the game to start. Maverick pushed up his sunglasses as Phoenix pointed across to Rooster who pointed back as we were on the same team.

As soon as the whistle blew the balls were thrown back to Maverick and Hangman, the game beginning. Maverick threw the ball to Rooster who had caught it before tossing it to me as I ran back and threw it to Coyote who scored the touchdown for our team.