Chapter 37

Upon coming back to land we all walked off the ship and onto the base where family's were waiting for their loved ones as per usual. Our family's however knew this would be a dangerous mission far from home, so us aviators were on our own.

A man about the same age as Maverick broke out of the crowd and started towards our group. We had been separated from the crowds, making our way back to the base to figure out where we go from here.

"Nicole!" I looked up from my conversation with Phoenix at the call of my name. My face dropped as I paused at the sight of the man.

"What the hell?" I groaned out in annoyance. Rooster put his arm over my shoulder, holding me close for my own comfort as Phoenix nodded that she was going to head inside and give me a moment.

"What are you doing? Are you insane?" My father began shouting at me as we stood toe to toe. Bradley gave my shoulder a soft squeeze, reming me that he was there for support. "You broke up with the perfect man to come back here and play around in planes?"

"You don't get to tell me what to do with my life" I crossed my arms calmly.

"Excuse me? I am your father and you will do as I tell you" he demanded, getting more and more upset the longer I stayed calm and didn't listen to him.

"You are not my father" I shook my head.

"Wha—?"

"You've never supported me, you only ever wanted to get rid of me" I told him factually. "I almost died" I stressed the point to him as Rooster tensed beside me at the reminder. "I almost died, multiple times and where were you? Where was Daniel? Huh?" I challenged him.

"Your just being dramatic" he brushed it off with a scoff.

"I almost died, and you weren't there. You know who was there, right by my side? Maverick, and Rooster, and Phoenix because they are my family, more than you have ever been" I stated before marching away, Bradley never leaving my side.

"Sorry pal, but I'm gonna need you to leave" Maverick patted Johns shoulder with a cheeky smirk, proud of me for finally doing what my mother couldn't, stand up to my father. With a nod from Maverick, John was being forced off the base by security and I was finally at peace.

~~~

"Hey, have you seen Rooster today?" I questioned Maverick as I joined him in the hanger, having been staying with him since the mission.

"Don't you mean Brad-Brad?" Maverick asked back with a teasing grin.

"What?"

"That's what you used to call him when you were younger" Maverick shrugged in reply, sipping his coffee. "Bradley Bradshaw, Brad-Brad" he added further.

"I get it, now have you seen him?"

"He said he had to run out and do a few things today, why?"

"No reason" I sat down in the chair across from him with a slight huff.

"Okay, what's going on?" Maverick set down his coffee and newspaper to give me his full attention.

"Nothing" I shook my head though my leg which was bouncing up and down told another story.

"Todays your date with Bradley" Maverick realized proudly.

"Well if he's busy running errands all day I might as well do something to distract me, need any help?" I asked him.

"Do you think he stood you up?" Maverick wondered, reading my attitude.

"Is he here?" I gestured around the hanger. "He probably just asked me out in the moment because we both almost died" I shrugged calmly, sinking further into my seat as excuses flowed through my mind.