Chapter 12

"Shit, Rooster!" I shouted from the back of the jet as my head knocked harshly into the side of the canopy before hitting the back of his seat. "Ah fuck" I muttered next when blood dripped put of my nose and onto my gloves.

"Sunshine, what's going on back there?" He asked, eyes focused ahead as we evaded a bogey and his panic spiked at my curse of pain.

"Just keep flying and try not to get us both killed" I shouted up to him with frustration as I tried to keep my focus through the blinding pain that flashed through my head.

"I can do that" he nodded with determination to get us both back to the ship safely.

~~~

"Medic! I need a medic!" Rooster shouted as he got onto the wing of the jet and unbuckled me from the jet, seeing me wince in pain at the sunlight and blood still dripping from my nose.

"Move out of the way, Lieutenant." the medic ordered as they climbed up to get me.

"Is she going to be okay?" Rooster called after them but they were rushing me towards the med bay. "Will she be okay?" He demanded answers but was held back by another medic who was ordered to check him over as well. He had been walked into the medical bay on the ship, getting checked over by the nurse while his mind was fully focused on me and if I was alright.

"You are all good to go" she told him, stepping towards the door to leave when he called her back.

"Excuse me, am I allowed to go visit Lieutenant Danvers?" He asked, his care for me clear in his worry.

"Yes, she is right this way" the nurse led him out of the room and down the hallway towards my room. "Lieutenant Danvers" she knocked on the door. "You have a visitor" she smiled gently, stepping away to let Bradshaw in. He was by my bedside in seconds, looking at me in the darkness of the room.

"I am so so sorry that I hurt you and didn't bring you back to the ship sooner, I shouldn't have risked you out there like that" he rambled on and on apologetically.

"Rooster" I tried cutting him off as I held my eyes closed tightly.

"If there is anything I can do for you—"

"Bradshaw" I cut him off sternly with my voice slightly raised.

"Yes?" He gulped, looking down at me as I peeked my eyes open slightly.

"I'm alright, you did what you had to and I don't blame you" I reassured him carefully. "I have a concussion and had a slight nosebleed" I explained the situation to him, easing his nerves.

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Can you stay with me?" I asked gently, not wanting to be alone.

"Always" he promised. He hummed 'here comes the sun' next to me as I drifted off to sleep, having to be woken up every thirty minutes by the nurses orders.

The next morning I was released to my own bunk. I was put off duty for the next week which meant no flying for Rooster and I. Rooster walked with my towards my bunk, wanting to make sure I got there safely. When I stepped out of the dark medical room the lights on the ship caused me to wince, pulling my sunglasses out of the chest pocket of my flight suit and putting them on to ease the brightness.

The week went by slowly, sitting around all day waiting for the go ahead to start flying again. After I was up in the air with Rooster the deployment flew by and we were on our way home once again.

"Got any plans tonight Sunshine?" Rooster asked me as we walked off the ship together, past the family's greeting their loved ones who had been away for six weeks.