Chapter 11

"Do I have to go?" I grumbled in complaint to my mom as she styled my hair and did my makeup.

"Yes, your father put in the effort to set up this date, the least you can do is give the guy a chance" she said, her kind nature shining through.

Once she was content with my look she gave me a hug and sent me on my way. I had driven myself to the restaurant where I sighed before getting out and walking in. The waitress ushered me to the table where my date had already ordered for himself.

Daniel talked about himself the entire time, not even letting me get a word in as he believed women shouldn't have an opinion. The heels were killing my feet and my hair kept falling into my face. Daniel scolded my every action just like my father and it took all of my strength not to snap at him and cause a scene, but my mother said I only had to give him a chance.

I walked out of the restaurant with Daniel, him letting the door fall on me as I walked behind him into the cool night air.

"I really like you, you know, though you could work on keeping your mouth shut" he commented as he turned to face me. "I'll see you again sometime, next week" he decided on a date without asking me.

"I have a work thing that day" I told him simply.

"Cancel it" he said as if it was the obvious solution.

"I can't, it's a training exercise that I need to do to keep my job"

"So? You don't need to worry about having a job, I can support you"

"What?"

"I have to go now, bye" he waved as I watched him walk away without a second glance at me.

"What the hell?" I asked myself as he just left me standing outside of the restaurant. I pulled my phone out of my purse and made a call while walking over to my car. "Hey, you still open for a movie night?" I asked.

"Always, you on your way?" Rooster asked back, smiling on the other end.

"Yeah, I should be there in 30 minutes"

"Good, I'll run to the store down the street and pick us up some snacks. You want the usual?"

"You know it" I smiled into my phone as I started up my car. "Alright, I'm on my way, see you soon" and with that I hung up and drove off towards his house.

~~~

I pulled up in front of his house, grabbing my bag from the backseat that I always kept there. Making my way to the front door I have it three solid knocks before pulling my hand back to my side and waiting for Rooster to appear.

"Hey, Sunshine—wow" his eyes went wide as he took in my appearance. He stepped aside, speechless as I stood awkwardly at the door. "Oh, sorry, come in" he shook away the thought as he realized why I didn't make a move to enter. I walked past him and went straight to the washroom as he closed the door. "You alright in there, Sunshine?" He asked nervously.

"Yep, just changing out of this stupid dress" I grumbled from the other side of the door.

"Okay" he laughed slightly and moved back to the couch, sitting down and waiting for me to return. I walked out wearing sweatpants and an old academy tee shirt after changing out of the silk dress that made me deeply uncomfortable. He smiled up at me as I plopped down beside him, picking up the bag of gummy bears that were sitting on the coffee table. He clicked play on the movie and we started chatting while watching the movie.

"He argued over paying for the meal and ended up paying for it all in the end" I explained in complaint.

"That's called chivalry" Rooster tried to defend with some slight hope.