Chapter 13

The rain started to come down harder than before as I realized who's house I had stopped in front of. Rooster Bradshaws house.

"Great" I sighed knowing I had just dug myself into a deep hole. I looked through the darkness and raindrops to see his truck parked in the driveway, but of course if he was out drinking with friends he wouldn't be driving. Thunder rumbled in the distance as I ran up to the front door.

"Please be home" I pleaded desperately as I  gave a simple three knocks. I tapped my foot impatiently and nervously as I waited, glancing over my shoulder every few seconds. "Come on" I looked back again to see the car drive past again, slowing down before going back to its normal speed. I began knocking repeatedly, not stopping until I get an answer.

"I'm coming!" Rooster called from inside and I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me as relief flooded me. "Jesus" he muttered as he unlocked the door and opened it. "Sunshine?" His annoyance dissolved fast when he saw me standing on his porch in the rain soaked from head to toe. He on the other hand seemed nice and warm, wearing a pair of sweatpants and no shirt.

"Thank god you're home"

Thunder crackled again and I jumped slightly, body shivering as I looked at the street again. Rooster leaned out slightly, looking over my shoulder to see what I was looking at when he saw the headlights of the car go by again and my body tensed.

"Come on in" his hand gently found my shoulder and guided me past him into his house. I stood in the entry way while he looked out one last time before shutting and locking the door.

"Are you alright?" He watched me with worry, scared as to what would prompt me to run away from home in the middle of the night while it stormed outside.

"I'm so sorry, I know you said you would be out with your friends and I probably shouldn't have come here but I didn't know where else to go so I just started walking and then the car drove by me multiple times and I ended up here and I left my mom at home with my dad because I snuck out because Daniel threatened to kick my door down and I needed to get out of there and oh god did I wake you up? I should go back home" I took a step towards the door when he caught my arm, stopping me from moving again.

"Danvers, you're safe here" he promised. "You can stay the night, get dried off and I'll bring you back tomorrow morning" he promised, not wanting me to go back if I felt unsafe.

"Thank you" I smiled up at him for his generosity.

"Follow me" he instructed and I took off my shoes, following him through the house and wincing as I dropped water all across his floor. "Don't worry about that" he waved it off almost as if he was reading my mind. He brought me to the bathroom where he grabbed me a towel, telling me to wait for a minute as he grabbed a change of clothes for me too. "Here, get dried off and come find me down stairs" he instructed. I nodded and he shut the door behind himself as I dried off properly.

I had walked out a few moments later as Rooster answered another knock at the door with a sigh. Peeking out from behind the wall I watched as Daniel stood outside, his car parked in the driveway.

"Are you chicken?" Daniel demanded, trying to sound tough.

"Excuse me?" Bradshaw replied with confusion, shifting slightly to block my view of Daniel as well as Daniel's view of me.

"It's your stupid nickname, like how Nicole goes by sunny or something like that"

"I don't know any chicken, or sunny, but I'll let you know if they come by" Rooster played dumb, amused by Daniel's threats that weren't really threatening to him.

"I saw her come in here man, she's my girl so you need to back off" he pushed a finger into Roosters chest though the pilot didn't budge.

"Woah, I don't have any girls here" Rooster raised a hand in defence, his other hand on the door ready to shut it at any moment.