Chapter 27

"Sunshine!" Maverick shouted out my name as I walked into the parking lot and towards my car. I looked back with confusion as to who was calling out my name and as soon as I realized who it was I stopped and turned to face him at attention. "Relax" he told me simply as he caught up to me, figuring I was a big rule follower even if I would break every rule to be by Roosters side.

"Sir?" I asked with confusion as to what this was all about.

"I'm gonna say something and I just need you to hear me out" he began and I watched him curiously, wondering what was so important that it couldn't wait for tomorrow. "I was friends with you mother, back when she worked in the Navy. After a certain incident your father forced her to stay away from anything associated with the Navy, including me. When she was in the hospital on her death bed she reached out to me to go visit her and of course I went right away." He started slowly, watching my reaction closely.

"You were there when she died?" I asked as emotion started to overwhelm me.

"No, but when I was there she told me to give this to you" he handed over a black notebook that matched my own. "I told her that you had gotten into Top Gun as I pulled a few strings to find out before you and she was beyond proud, finally resting knowing you were free from the trap she endured with your father"

"Mommy, I can't sleep" I cried to my mother as I laid in my pink bedroom, my stuffed Goose toy cuddled up in my arms. I remembered we had just returned from a trip, my mother was sad and so was I, but I couldn't remember why and I couldn't make out the argument between my parents in the living room after my father sent me to bed without so much as a goodnight.

"Do you want me to sing you a song?" She hummed softly, sitting on the edge of my bed and patting my legs.

"Yes, please" I nodded.

"You are my Sunshine, my only Sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You'll never know dear how much I love you, please don't take my Sunshine away"

"Sunshine? Are you alright?" Mavericks voice pulled me back to reality as tears pricked my eyes.

"Yeah, I'm alright" I nodded up at him. "Thank you for this"

"I made a promise to your mother" he reminded. "If you have any questions about that book I'm here to answer them" he added. I gave him another smile before nodding and walking towards my car again. "Goodnight, Nick!" Maverick waved me off and I waved back before getting into my car to drive home.

"Maverick" Rooster started, scaring him as he came up suddenly from the darkness as the sun began to set.

"Rooster, hi" Maverick smiled at him but Rooster seemed furious.

"You can keep me out of the sky if you want but do not bring this out on her, she is a great WSO and she doesn't deserve to have you ruin her dreams like you ruined mine" Rooster told him sternly, reading the situation completely wrong.

"Rooster, I'm not trying to stop her from doing anything" he promised.

"Then what was that about?"

"She will tell you when she is ready just like you will tell her everything when you are ready" Maverick reminded Rooster of his secret past with Maverick he was hailing from me.

When I got into my house I had dropped my bag by the door. Turning on some lights I had started to get ready for the end of the day, cuddling up on the couch with some comfy clothes and a warm blanket.

I glanced at the notebook I had set on the table, it mocking me with its presence. I started at it for another few minutes before giving in.

"Fuck it" I muttered and quickly grabbed it, opening it up to the first page.