Chapter 33

"Captain Mitchell is no longer your instructor. And as of today, there are new mission parameters." Cyclone started us off the next morning as I looked up with confusion from my seat, wondering what had changed. "Time to target is now four minutes. You'll be entering the valley level at reduced speed. Not to exceed 420 knots." He continued as everyone looked to the person they were sitting beside in shock and confusion at what we were being told.

"Sir, won't we be giving their planes time to intercept?" Bob pointed out our obvious concern.

"Well, lieutenant, you have a fighting chance against enemy aircraft. What are the odds of surviving a head-on collision with a mountain?" Cyclone challenged. "You'll be attacking the target from a higher altitude, level with the north wall. Gonna be a little harder to keep your lase on target, but you will avoid the high-g climb out."

"We'll be sitting ducks for enemy missiles." Fanboy mumbled to Payback. I looked to Rooster with concern at how much more dangerous this would become with the new rules.

A beeping sounded out from the simulation monitor as someone started to run the course. I sat up quickly and straight with interest as Rooster did the same beside me.

"Who the hell is that?" Cyclone turned around to face the screen where a single F-18 was taking the course.

"Maverick to range control. Entering point Alpha. Confirm green range." Maverick voiced out and we all grew more interested.

"Uh, Maverick, range control, uh, green range is confirmed. I don't see an event scheduled for you, sir." The range control replied with clear confusion over why he was flying the simulation. I sat forward with interest, Phoenix doing the same with an eager smile on her face as Rooster shifted forward slightly.

"Well, I'm going anyway." Maverick replied.

"Nice." Phoenix commented in awe.

"Can he do that?" I looked to Rooster.

"I dont think anyone can stop him" Rooster replied as we watched closely, wanting to see if Maverick could complete it.

"Setting time to target: Two minutes 15 seconds." Maverick stated out.

"2:15? That's impossible." Coyote shook his head.

"Final attack point. Maverick's inbound." Maverick stated before taking off in the course as we all watched the screen.

Hangman sat back with calm ease as Rooster looked around in shock that this was happening and Phoenix and I were completely focused on the screen. Rooster leaned forward as the clock passed the 1:30 mark. As the timer continued to drop lower and lower everyone grew tense and silent, watching closely on the edge of our seats.

"Popping in three, two, one." Maverick reported as he claimed over the first ridge inverted.

"No way" I spoke softly as we watched him approach target on time.

"Bombs away." Maverick said before he took the G climb at coffin corner. We all sat waiting for the bomb to hit the target as the clock read 16 milliseconds.

"Bull's-eye! Holy shit!" Fanboy cheered in awe as I gasped and grabbed at Roosters hand shaking it around with excitement.

"Yes." Bob smiled proudly.

"Damn." Hangman commented simply, still seated in his chair. I stood up and high fived Phoenix as rooster sat unphazed in awe staring at the screen still.

"It has been an honor flying with you. Each one of you represents the best of the best." Maverick started out as we all stood lined up on the ship awaiting to hear the team list. I stood in my place beside Rooster staring ahead as I stood at attention. "This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing more." Maverick reminded.