Chapter 05

Today is known as field day, the last day of our four weeks of basic training which, I think I can speak for everyone when I say they were rough. Everyone has been waiting for this day, coming together as teams to compete in friendly competitive games, not having to worry about rules and regulations or being yelled at for looking the wrong way.

Each squadron was to pick a team name, Jennings calling us the Destroyers and having us wear blue to symbolize ourselves apart from the other teams. The days activity's would consist of games such as tug or war and a few races. Family's of the cadets came to visit, watching the games in support of the future naval aviators. High ranking aviators and admirals also sat in the crowd watching us compete, judging us to see if we really had what it takes to become aviators.

Trace and I walked out onto the field together, talking and joking as per normal, joining Bradshaw who had been left alone with Jennings and Anderson who were only talking about how to win the days games, their egos inflating greatly by the minute.

"Thank god you guys showed up" he sighed in relief when we joined the group, standing to close the gap between us and him. "Those two are insufferable" he pointed a thumb over his shoulder towards Jennings and Anderson.

"Okay, that's enough" I grumbled, pushing past Bradshaw with a newfound determination to make this team work.

"Danvers" Trace called after me, moving to follow and keep me out of trouble, especially with all of the watching eyes.

"We all want to win here today right?" I sternly questioned the two cadets who had been a pain in my ass since our first day of training, my arms crossed over my chest as I stared down at them.

"Yes" Anderson nodded as though I was asking a stupid question.

"Good, so we are all on the same page here" I nodded. Trace and Bradshaw exchanged a look behind me, unsure of how this would go and being ready to jump in at any moment. "I want to call a truce" I stated simply with a calm sense of confidence that it would finally work out.

"A truce?" Anderson asked back mockingly with a chuckle. When I stared at him with a blank yet stern expression he could clearly see that I wasn't joking and sighed.  "Fine" he shook my outreached hand yet when he moved to take his hand back I kept a firm grip on it. "You want me to say it?" He groaned knowingly.

"Yes" I nodded back in confirmation, solid grip still on his hand.

"Come on man, just say it" Jennings told his buddy with a sigh, also wanting this to be in the past now that we would be moving onto the next part of our training in a few days.

"Truce" Anderson shook my hand one last time with a proud smile and I released it, Bradshaw and Trace sharing an impressed look for how I managed to handle the situation.

Once our group came together as one we started assigning roles for each challenge, falling into perfect teamwork. I was participating in the long distance run, Trace in the hurdle run. Anderson and Jennings were in the log carry together and I would be doing the relay race with Bradshaw to end the challenges of the day.

"First challenge is the long distance run" Jennings started us off, taking the lead in deciding who gets each role.

"Danvers should do it" Anderson mumbled, not wanting to admit I was the best choice.

"What was that?" Trace wondered with a smirk.

"Danvers is the fastest, she should do the long distance run" he repeated in full thought, trying to hold back from showing his bruised ego.

"I agree" Bradshaw added and the others nodded along.

"Alright. Hurdle run?" I asked next.

"Trace" Bradshaw stated instantly.