Chapter 35

"So what's the plan?" I asked Maverick bringing them back to the reality that we are stuck in enemy territory. Maverick nodded before we started the hike towards the base we had blown up moments ago.

"Don't twist your ankle" I teased Rooster as he walked behind me, Maverick taking the lead.

"Haha, very funny" he replied sarcastically. When we reached the cliff overlooking the base we all laid in the snow, taking cover while looking down as alarms blared out.

"You're not serious." Rooster looked to Maverick in shock as Maverick looked down through binoculars. Maverick looked to Rooster before looking to me as I agreed to his idea with a simple nod. Maverick stood up and from the other side of Rooster and I followed Maverick leaving Rooster in the snow.

"Shit" Rooster cursed to himself as alarms continued to sound out and I followed Maverick. "You've got to be shitting me. An F-14?" Rooster looked to Maverick in disappointment in the plan as he looked at the base through the binoculars when we got closer.

"I shot down three migs in one of those." Maverick stated proudly.

"We don't even know if that bag of ass can fly." Rooster reminded with clear doubt for the idea of our escape.

"Let's find out." I stood up and started walking out. Maverick shrugged to Rooster and followed after me.

"Sunshine!" Rooster whisper called after me, trying to get me back. "Mav!" he called out next. "Okay." He nodded, following after us both reluctantly when he realized he was going to get left behind unless he came with us. The alarm continued as Rooster ran over to walk behind us, stumbling into Mavericks back. "There's guys up there, Mav." Rooster warned.

"Yeah."

"There's more over there." Rooster pointed out.

"Okay." Maverick nodded.

"And there" Rooster noted.

"Would you shut up?" I shot back with worry for the mission which Rooster finally saw. He could now clearly tell that I just wanted to get back to the others safely, doing whatever is necessary.

"Let's start running." Maverick started before Rooster could say anything else.

"Yeah, run. Run." Rooster agreed as we all awkwardly ran out towards the hanger. Maverick brought us into a hanger where an F-14 was and he turned on the panel power.

"Once... once I give you the signal for air, you're gonna flip this switch until the needle gets to 120. When the engine starts, you got to pull out the pins and disconnect everything. You understand?" Maverick instructed to Rooster carefully, showing him what to do.

"Yeah." He nodded. Maverick pressed a button as it powered up and he started getting ready.

While they were preoccupied by that I was the only one to notice there was only two seats and that there were three of us. Taking my knowledge I moved to the next hanger over, careful not to get caught.

"Yes" I sighed in relief when I found another F-14.

"Yes!" Maverick cheered when it powered up successfully. "Once I'm up, stow the ladder." Maverick pointed as he ran to get into the jet. Rooster followed instructions as they both wore their helmets and he put up the ladder.

"Okay. Wow. It's been a minute, huh, Mav?" Maverick talked to himself as he looked at the set up of the cockpit of the F-14.

"Woah, this is different" I looked around the cockpit as I tried to get everything set up on my own. I made sure to flip the radio communications switch from the backseat, knowing this jet was designed for two person use and not single person use.