Chapter 02

6:00 am

The large group of cadets had been standing in a line since the moment we had figured out where to go. I was shoulder to shoulder with two other cadets, my duffel bag by my feet as my shoulders were squared and I looked straight ahead, not staring at anything specific. The officers paced in front of us, shouting out orders in their strict voices which I'm pretty sure could be heard across the state.

"Step forward when your name is called out" the officer in front of us ordered simply before moving on to list out names. He listed names in groups of five, each of them stepping forward at the call of their name and being ordered to give their statements as instructed. "Anderson, Bradshaw, Danvers, Jennings, Trace"

I stepped forward along with four other cadets, each of our eyes glued forward as we were afraid of looking away and getting yelled at. I stood stiffly, awaiting my instructions nervously.

Maybe my father was right and I should have just stayed home. I thought with my nerves influencing me. Nonsense. I've worked hard to get here and I will become a Weapons Systems Operator like I dreamed of.

"Repeat after me" the officer started in a loud booming voice which rang through my ears. "I will obey the orders of those appointed over me."

"I will obey the orders of those appointed over me"

"To defend freedom and democracy around the world."

"To defend freedom and democracy around the world"

"I proudly serve my country's Navy combat team with Honor, Courage and Commitment."

"I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all."

"Good, now grab your bags and follow Officer Kinning" he spoke loudly with our next orders. Without a single word the five of us grabbed our duffle bags off the ground and followed the next Officer down the hallway of the building, already lost again as to where exactly on base we were.

The sound of razors and scissors cutting hair filled my ears, notifying me of my general location stepping into a makeshift barber shop on base. I looked around curiously until the female beside me nudged me with her elbow as a sharp reminder to keep focused at attention. I nodded silently at her and straightened up again. The three men from our group, Anderson, Bradshaw and Jennings were guided to sit in chairs to get their hair trimmed up properly while the other woman and I stood still, waiting for our own instructions.

"Would you two like to get a short haircut like them?" Officer Kinning directed to the others getting their haircut when she addressed her question to us. "Or would you rather keep your hair tied back in a bun that can be no more than 4 inches in diameter?"

"Tied back in a bun, ma'am" I replied in a stern voice with a slight nod of certainty.

"Tied back, ma'am" the brunette beside me answered as well, same stern set tone as me.

"Very well, you may continue with me for the medical examination portion" Kinning lead us out into the hallway decorated with history of the base and into the next room in the hallway. We followed into the large medical room where many curtains were pulled back to close off the separate rooms. Kinning stepped out again, leaving us to wait side by side in the empty chairs for a doctor to arrive and call each of us back to the evaluation rooms.

"Danvers" a woman dressed in white scrubs called out after another cadet left the curtained examination room. I stood up with a deep breath and followed the kind looking woman into a room. "Please sit" she directed me to the table while she pulled the curtain closed and looked over her clipboard.