Chapter 09

At 4:30 our alarm rang out for the last time in our shared room.

Natasha and I got up like it was another normal day of training but today would be different. Today is our last day at the academy where we will become naval aviators.

Our final inspection passed with flying colours. Trace and I had all of our belongings set in our duffle bags, sitting at the end of our beds waiting for us to leave.

Walking out of our room we fell in with the rest of the Academy graduates, excitement buzzing through all of us.

"Can you believe it's over already?" Trace questions as we met up with Bradshaw and the rest of our group before the big ceremony.

"It's hard to believe" Bradshaw replied with a simple sigh at the thought of how fast our time her went by.

"Oh, the ceremony's starting" I urged them all. "See you after?" I glanced at Bradshaw and Trace.

"See you after, darlin'" Bradshaw smiled before the group of us split up to take our places.

We marched out onto the large open field where our friends and family were watching us. One of the Admirals made a great speech about how we would be amazing pilots to protect our homes from danger. When the formal business was finished we had all officially graduated and were now naval aviators.

We watched as everyone was called up to the stage to be given their placements. Trace was called up with her new backseater named Murphy who I had trained beside to become a WSO.

"Bradshaw" his name was called and he stepped out of line to approach the stage. "Danvers" he called next and I joined him on the stage, keeping a straight face as I avoided looking to my new partner. "You two will be shipping out for a deployment in the Pacific in three days" he explained and we both saluted in response before being dismissed back to our places.

Once all of the aviators had been called up we were dismissed to gather our things and celebrate with our family's. I looked around lost in the crowd until I spotted Trace and opened my arms for a hug to her. She gladly accepted, gasping slightly when she spotted someone from behind me.

"What?" I pulled back with worry to look at her.

"It's your new partner" Trace smirked, turning me to face him and pushing me towards him gently.

"Bradshaw!" I called him over with a smile and a wave.

"Hey, partner" he smiled back as he joined us.

"What? He gets no hug?" Trace nudged me teasingly.

"Trace gets a hug but I don't?" He mocked offence at the new information.

"Do you want a hug?" I faced him, talking to him as though he was a little kid.

"Hell yeah, I want a hug" he stated back. I shook my head with a laugh and went to hug him, stepping into his open arms.

"Mom?" I gasped in surprise at seeing her when I looked past Bradshaw.

"Huh?" Bradshaw looked down as I stepped away from him and in the blink of an eye was crossing the field to hug my mother.

"You're looking a little red there, Bradshaw" Trace commented with a knowing smirk as she walked up to his side.

"Shut up" he muttered before they both smiled and walked over to join us. "What's that?" Bradshaw wondered as he noticed me clipping something around my neck with slight struggle.

"Oh! Look at this cool necklace my mom gave me!" I cheerfully held it out to show both of my best friends, giving up on putting it on.

"That's so nice" Trace commented with a soft smile before turning to greet my mother like they were long time best friends.