Chapter 25

"Morning, Sunshine" Phoenix smiled up at me as I entered the hanger and sat in my seat.

"Hi" I nodded to both her and Bob in greeting. As more aviators filed in a took their seats Bradshaw planted himself beside me just like old times.

"Attention on deck!" Everyone stood at attention while the admirals walked in to address us.

"Morning. Welcome to your special training detachment." Warlock greeted as he took the podium first.  "Be seated." He told us, everyone plopping back into their seat, Rooster smirking beside me, eager to learn what the mission would be. "I'm admiral Bates, NAWDC commander. You're all top gun graduates. The elite. The best of the best. That was yesterday. The enemy's new fifth-generation fighter has leveled the playing field. Details are few, but you can be sure we no longer possess the technological advantage." He explained as our confident smiles faded slightly.

"Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box." Hangman glanced back at where Phoenix sat and where I had been seated behind him and we each subtly flipped him the finger, Rooster suppressing a laugh at our actions.  "Half of you will make the cut. One of you will be named mission leader. The other half will remain in reserve." This time Hangman glanced back at Rooster with a cocky grin while Rooster simply focused on the mission, determined to be one of the pilots flying it.

"Your instructor is a top gun graduate with real-world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master. His exploits are legendary. And he's considered to be one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced." We all looked back as the pilot started to walk down the row of desks.

Phoenix and Bob looked back, not really knowing who it was by face. Hangman's face fell as he held his head in his hand, knowing that was the man he threw out of the bar last night, Coyote and Payback having similar reactions of fear for the man now.

"What he has to teach you may very well mean the difference between life and death.
I give you captain Pete Mitchell. Call sign: 'Maverick.'" Warlock stated his finishing statement as I looked over in awe and Rooster looked down, avoiding looking at Maverick.

"Good morning." Maverick nodded at our class as he took the podium, Hangman giving him an awkward tight lipped smile and nod. He looked over our class finding Rooster and I sitting beside each other, me clearly nervous for flying yet excited to see Maverick in person and Rooster glaring at him before looking a way. "The f-18 natops. It contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft." Maverick held up the book to show us. "I'm assuming you know the book inside and out."

"Damn right."

"Damn straight."

"You got it."

Pilots called out in agreement while I nodded along, remembering the tough weeks at the academy where that book was my only focus. He dropped the book into the trash bin beside the podium and I sat up slightly with confusion, waiting to hear what he said next.

"So does your enemy." Maverick told us simply. "But what the enemy doesn't know is your limits. I intend to find them, test them, push beyond." Maverick listed as I shifted nervously and Rooster looked over at me, sensing my nerves and nudging my arm in reassurance.  "Today we'll start with what you only think you know. You show me what you're made of." He instructed and I nodded as he held eye contact with Rooster, the tension already unknowingly building.

"Let's go" Rooster nodded for us to get up and get ready as soon as we were dismissed.

"I can't believe this!" I cheered as I jumped lightly beside Rooster as we made our way towards the locker rooms. "Maverick is here and he is going to train us for the mission!"