Chapter 06

The morning started the same, wake up, go for a run, get cleaned up and meet on the field. But today was different as we had each been given survival bags and been brought on a hike into the deep woods where we will be spending the next six weeks.

The first thing we had been taught was first aid in the event of an emergency.

"This is your first aid kit. It is important you know what everything in it is and how to use it as it can become the difference between life and death in the field" our instructed began, all of us standing around at the edge of the woods being taught basic safety before going in.

He showed us the different tools and supplies in the kits and how to use various things in case of emergency.

"You should find a brown bottle of hydrogen peroxide, this will clean your wounds and disinfect them" he continued as Bradshaw pushed through things in his kit in search of the item.

"Here" I reached over and grabbed the brown bottle from his kit, placing it in his hand.

"Thanks" he whispered over to me gratefully.

"Now that you know how to use your kits, we will begin our hike to the campsite" the lead officer told us all and we packed up our bags and began the march into the forest.

Unfortunately that knowledge was used fairly quickly when Bradshaw fell on our hike deeper into the woods to our camp site where he slashed his leg open on a rock. I had been walking ahead of him when I heard a fumble and sharp intake of air from behind me. I paused and turned around to see Bradshaw sitting on the ground holding his leg in pain.

"Cadet down!" I called up to the front in warning and the whole group stopped as I crouched beside him.

"You know what you're doing, Cadet?" The leader asked me as he stood over us, Trace, Anderson and Jennings watching as well.

"Yes, sir" I nodded up, pulling my bag off of my back and digging into it for the first aid kit.

"Good, meet us up at the campsite when you're finished" he said and lead the others off again to start setting up.

"Really? You trip and hurt yourself on the first day of training?" I scolded as I rolled up his pant leg to examine the cut that wasn't to bad.

"Maybe I'm just falling for you already" he shot back with a grin and I rolled my eyes. He winced in sudden pain as I disinfected the wound without warning him, a small smirk on my face.

"And how's that working out for you now?" I shot back.

"I dont know, you tell me"

"You're fine" I stated simply, wrapping his leg and fixing his pant leg. I stood up, adjusting my bag on my shoulders again as he simply stared up at me. "Come on, we don't want to be out here alone all night" I said, offering him a hand. He took my hand like the first time we had met and allowed me to pull him to his feet.

"Thanks for patching me up" he said as we walked up the path together, reaching the campsite in no time.

"Danvers, Bradshaw, everything alright?" The group leader called us over to him when we arrived at the site.

"Yes, sir" we both nodded in sync.

"Good, now help set up the tents" he pointed for us to help.

Walking over to one of the tents I had found Trace struggling on her own to set it up. Trace and I would be sharing a tent for the next few weeks while the three boys had to share another tent.

"Thank god, you can finally pull your weight" Trace teased as I started to help her without needing to be asked to.

"I was helping a wounded teammate" I reminded in a pointed tone but we both knew we were messing around.