Chapter 2- Death Myths

CHAPTER 2- DEATH MYTHS

Berkley School
February 13
Mythology Class

-Aurea-

Actually, Mom forced me to get this mythology class as an elective. She told me that I’d have fun in this class and that it makes Dad laugh so hard at the way mortals perceive us. Err... Them. I’m not sure if I could really be considered a Goddess for I don’t have any powers. Well if we’re talking about an immortal being then definitely I am that. But Goddess? Definitely not.

It’s almost eight o’ clock and here I am sitting on my desk, waiting for the teacher to arrive.

“Hey, Aurea. Who are you dating tomorrow for Valentines Day?” my friend and co-cheerleader Aubrey asked me. She was the typical blone and blue-eyed cheerleader and she was wearing the same tank top and miniskirt cheerleader costume that I was wearing. I noticed that everyone around us sat a bit straighter to be able to eavesdrop on the conversation.

Aubrey sat on her desk and leaned over to mine just so she could pester me. “No one.” I replied with a snort.

Another cheerleader, Lyn, the only asian girl in our team pulled out a chair and placed it near mine. “Aurea are you sure you’re not a lesbian?” she hissed. I rolled my eyes. Me? A lesbian? Seriously? I did another eyeroll.

“Must you ask me that question again, Lyn?” I asked and then laughed.

“No... I am not a lesbian. Definitely not bisexual either.” I replied.

“Many boys want to date you, you know. Why not go with one of them? No one wants to be dateless on Valentine’s Day.” Aubrey explained with a wave of her hand.

“Err... I really don’t care if I’m dateless on Valentine’s Day... I think I’ve managed being dateless for seventeen years. It’s just an ordinary day. Nothing special.” I shrugged.

The look on their faces after I said that was priceless.

They looked absolutely horrified! It was as if they were little children and I just told them that Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy doesn’t exist or that they couldn’t eat a single bite of chocolate for the rest of their lives.

“What?” I breathed.

All of them rolled their eyes. “It is so not an ordinary day!”

“Whatever. It’s just that I am so not getting a date.” I replied.

I don’t know why but I just never liked Valentine’s Day. It’s not that I’m bitter because I don’t have any date or that no one gave me chocolates or whatever it is people do on Valentine’s Day. Believe me, I’ve had many offers but my heart’s just not in it so I turned them down.

I feel as if no one ever caught or held my attention. Because of this, I’ve been labelled a lesbian and a snob too many times to count.

Truth is: I’m neither of those.

I’m just different. Or maybe I’m just holding out for someone special. Someone who’ll truly make my heart beat and my toes curl with his kisses. Someone who’ll sweep me off my feet the old-fashioned romantic way and woo me with sweet words, flowers and all that jazz.

Yes, I’m an old fashioned soul. I still want to receive letters with sweet messages and not text messages or e-mails which can be deleted. I still want to receive real flowers which I shall put in a beautiful vase so I could gaze at them longer. I want to go out on dates at the park, have dinner at a nice restaurant, watch a movie and all those other things couples do.