Chapter 23- La Douleur Exquise

Please don't forget to click that VOTE button! :D

CHAPTER 23- LA DOULEUR EXQUISE

The Penthouse
Eros’ Apartment
New York City

-Thanatos-

A blow to the chest. A kick to the groin. A sword slash that cuts in deep. A limb severed from your body. Skin scalded by fire.

Those are painful things that I know...

But none of them could compare to the pain of being rejected.

“Eros!” I shouted as I landed on Eros’ balcony. The wailing cries of the souls still echoed around me and I willed myself to be calm so that they would disappear. I reached up and also wiped the moisture from my eyes.

I landed on a crouch and then quickly folded my wings behind me and used my magic to hide them. “Eros!” I called out again.

I heard a muffled thud and them some curses. After a few more seconds, Eros emerged from his room with an irritated expression.

“What?!” he snapped.

“She did not want me.” I tried to make my voice steady but it broke. I instantly cursed myself and my weakness. This is not who I am. This is now how I am supposed to appear! I am a God! I should not be weak just because of a woman!

But she isn’t any other woman... She’s Aurea... My fated half...

Eros’ expression softened and he walked towards me.

“Sit.” He commanded and indicated the mini-bar in one corner of his room. I sighed and then followed him. I sat on the bar while he went behind the counter to reach for some drinks. I sighed and placed my head in my hands. I rubbed at my eyes to stop the moisture from flowing. I shouldn’t be weak. No God cries...

But who wouldn’t cry when faced with a situation like mine? If a God was reduced to tears, how would a mere mortal feel? Would he be able to die from pain when my immortality prevents me from doing so?

“Tell me all about it.” Eros said in a gentle tone.

I shook my head for I was afraid that if I spoke, all the recent events would be replayed in my memory and I would experience the pain again. I was also afraid that I wouldn’t be able to stay strong and calm in front of Eros.

“I take it this has something to do with Aurea?” he asked.

I nodded. At this point in time, words were beyond me.

“Sooo... Have you already told her like you planned?”

Again, I nodded.

“And I take it that it didn’t go well?”

Another nod.

Eros handed me a glass of something brown in color.

“Drink up.” He urged. I took the glass from him and then quickly downed all the contents in one gulp. The action caused a burning in my throat and my eyes watered.