Chapter 10 - A Calm Before The Storm

Okuma POV

Today is the second day of May. After Chabashira-sensei dropped a bombshell in our class. All of my classmates, I mean, most of my classmates began to actively listen to each lessons, although, it didn't increase our points, it helps us on stopping the decrease of class points.

While other students attentively listen to the teacher's lectures, Sudou is the only one who still sleeps during class.

He was still shameless like yesterday. Even though he messed up in the test, he just decided to sleep it.

If I compare him to something, he was like a dog that tends to destroy his owner's couch and still has the gall to sleep soundly.

In short, he's not like a dog, but rather, a dog.

A person that acts like a dog. No wonder he could stoop this low.

Anyways...

"Ow!".

After I insulted Sudou inside my head, a yelp was heard beside me. And when I look at the source, it was Ayanokouji as he rubbed his left arm.

Chabashira-sensei looked at him and asked, "What's the matter Ayanokouji?".

"N-nothing, sensei" he replied.

C'mon, it was obvious that he was hurt as his left arm was stained in blood. And when I look at the black-haired girl, she was holding a compass with blood on its tip. And she was surely the one who stabs Ayanokouji's arm.

Well, there is no need to point it out since I have no need nor a motive to do it.

And for the rest of the lessons, I listened to the lectures with seriousness.

===

Ayanokouji POV

After I was tricked by Horikita by letting her buy my own lunch set, I was tasked to ask Sudou, Okuma, Ike, and Yamauchi on joining our study group.

But when he mentioned Okuma, I complained at her. And you know what she said?

"What? Didn't I bought you an expensive lunch set? The most simple thing you need to do is to convince him, though, I don't really care what happens afterwards, as long as it's successful, I don't care what methods you will do. I hope that what I bought for you will be worth the results you do".

How rude! She didn't even care about my well-being! Well, it's not totally unexpected considering her personality.

And after I asked Sudou, Ike and Yamauchi, the result was...

Ike: I'll pass.

Yamauchi: Sorry, but no.

Sudou: Whaddya say?!

...a failure.

I tried my best to convince them, but my efforts became fruitless at the end.

Sigh.

I can't really help but to sigh since I can't persuade them on joining the study group. But what worries me is the last one. Okuma Ikuto.

I considered him as one of the hardest since I can't predict what he will do to me. If I close my left eye, it might be too late to realize that my left eye was about to get punched!

In short, he's crazy. A totally crazy person that one must avoid! However, this was a job that I need to do, if I was injured, I will blame it on Horikita with no hesitation!

After I discovered my target, he was reading a book in the cafeteria.

Before I start, I decided to clasp my hands and pray, "Dear God, Buddha, Allah, or any other gods that could hear me. Please protect this pitiful soul from a demon's wrath, though, I'm not a religious person, and I'm asking for something shameless, I will definitely become religious if this becomes successful" I said shamelessly.

Now, with thorough preparation, I can say that I am ready to receive injuries from him. If this ends peacefully, then I will serve the church. The best thing I could serve is to play a piano. I mean, I could play Fur Elise, then what about the songs in the church? I bet that it will be easy as I could just simply play it with simple notes over and over again.

Gulp.

After gulping my saliva, I can't help but think that my future became bleak. But still I decided to cheer on myself. Tatakae!

Step.

At each steps, I thought to myself that my future will became more bleaker the more I step towards him.

Step.

Step.

Step.

As I finally reached Okuma's place. I decided to open my mouth, "Uh, hello".

At my greeting, he removed his focus from his book as he glanced up to me with his crimson, red eyes.

"What is it?" he asked.

Huuu. Be careful, Ayanokouji. One wrong word and your face will be covered with bruises. What I should do is to respectfully ask him to join on our study group. If he refused, then I will execute strategic retreat with no hesitation.

With no going back, I decided to continue on moving forward, "I would like to ask if you could join our study group".

"Sure-".

"Iseesorryforinterruptingyouhaveaniceday" I said as I quickly ran away from him.

For me not to receive injuries, the most optimal thing to do is to interrupt the attacker. This would result for the attacker to react late, and at the time he acts, I could finally escaped unscathed-.

Wait...

Did I mishear it...?

After I ran away from him, I immediately run back to him.

"Um, if you don't mind, can I ask what you said earlier?".

"I said I'll join".

"...".

I see, so that's what he said. Maybe I didn't hear him clearly because of the thought of him beating me up to a pulp if I anger him. I didn't think that it was this easy.

Haah, thank God, I will definitely become a religious person... If there's a given chance.

"What? You think I will punch your left eye if you close your left eye?".

"...".

W-what?! He can't read my mind, does he?! This was a coincidence, right?!

If so, then coincidences can be freaky.

"O-of course not, anyways, please meet us up in the library after class".

"Sure" he said as he continued to read the book.

After his reply, I decided to turned around and head towards the exit of the cafeteria.

'Yosh! The mission is a success!' I thought to myself as I raised my fist in my mind.

One down, three more to go. I convinced Okuma to join our study group without a hitch. And for the rest, I decided that it's best to ask a certain person. And that is Kushida Kikyou.

After convincing all of them, we successfully joined them in our study group. The study group proceeded successfully...

...Or so we thought.

Because that was just the calm before the storm.

TO BE CONTINUED.