| thunderstorm |

inspired by the thunderstorms happening in scotland rn :)
————————————————————————————————————

ever since you were younger, you had been afraid of thunderstorms. you didn't mind rain by itself but when thunder and lightning got involved, it was just too much. you thought you would get over it when you were older but you didn't. luckily there hadn't been many thunderstorms in a while so you were fine. that was until there was a pretty bad one when you were at your boyfriends house.

steve walked over to where you were sitting on the couch and placed a bunch of snacks on the table in front of you. he placed an arm around you as you rested your head on his shoulder. you had chosen a movie to watch instead of going out because it was raining quite heavily earlier and there were no signs to say that it would clear up. you were about halfway into the movie and you were close to sleeping until you heard a low rumble from outside. your head shot towards the window. steve looked at you. "hey, you okay? it's only thunder, sweetheart." he said in a soothing voice. your eyes were glued to the window and you jumped when a white flash of lightning lit up the room. "y/n? you okay?" he asked. you shook your head. "i, uh, i don't like thunderstorms." you told him. steve looked at you then at the window then back to you. he kissed your forehead before standing up.

he walked over to the window and closed over the curtains. he walked around and did the same with every window that wasn't already covered. the room instantly got dark. steve walked into the kitchen and came back with a lighter, lighting a few candles. there was still a little light coming in from the side of the curtains so it want pitch black. steve turned off the tv and sat beside you. "i know your supposed to turn off tv's during thunderstorms." he said and you nodded slightly. "there's nothing to be afraid of, y/n, we're inside, we'll be okay." he told you, his voice calming you down. you smiled at him. you lay down on the couch, placing your head in his lap. steve played with your hair as you lay in his lap.

"since when were you scared of thunderstorms?" he asked, his hands never leaving your hair. "i've always been afraid of them. they just make me feel uneasy." you explained. "you don't owe me an explanation, i was just curious." he said. "a lot of people think it's stupid to be afraid of the weather." you told him. "well, i'm scared of the rain, it ruins my hair." he said, in a serious tone. you laughed. "what? i'm serious! it's difficult to get my hair like this!" he said. "yeah, i bet it's difficult, farrah fawcett." you joked. his eyes winded at the nickname. "that little shit, henderson. he told you, didn't he?" you nodded. "plus i saw the can in your bedroom." you told him. he ran one of his hands through his hair. "i'm going to kill him." you laughed again. "you can't tell anybody, promise?" he asked. "yeah, promise." you replied. he pushed your chin upwards with his fingers, making you look at him. "look me in the eyes and promise you won't tell anyone." he said. "i promise." you said, never breaking eye contact. he smiled and kissed your forehead. "good." he said.

you stayed like this for a while, your head in steve's lap. you felt your eyes getting heavy and slowly closing. steve looked down at you and smiled when he saw you were sleeping. he was glad he was able to help you get through the thunderstorm. he slowly moved your head off of his lap before slipping an arm under your back and his other arm under your knees before slowly hoisting you into the air. he carefully walked up to his bedroom, kicking the door open and sat you in his bed. luckily, you were already wearing one of his t-shirt and a pair of shorts that he had given you earlier. he pulled the cover over you, making sure you were comfortable and evenly covered with the blanket. steve then walked over to the window and closed over the curtains, making sure that if you woke up, you couldn't see the lightning. he moved your hair away from your face and kissed your forehead before laying down behind you. he wrapped his arms around you and held you close to his own body, kissing your cheek from behind.

———————————————
767 words
short but sweet!