Like Mother, Like Daughter

This was going to be a long dinner.

"Dinner is lovely Mrs. Dell" Sam said, trying to relieve some of the awkward tension. Aunt Babs hasn't said anything about what she walked in on. For that, I'm glad. I don't think I could bare to talk about it yet. Sam and I kept making eye contact discreetly, trying to talk to each other through our eyes.

"Please, call me Babette" she told him as she had that same coy smile on her face. I could tell it was fixing to come out. Aunt Babs isn't the best at holding things in and keeping secrets. "So, if I hadn't of opened that door when I did, what were you both fixing to do?" And there it is.

"Aunt Babs!" I shout as my face, once again, turns beet red. As I look over at Sam, I notice his red face, too. It's kind of cute though. "That was a private moment, and I think it should stay that way." I told her firmly, even though I knew it wasn't going to. By bedtime, I'm sure the whole town will know, starting with Mrs. Patty. "Can we just talk about something else, please?" She was silent a moment before she moved on, but I know that won't be the end of it. The rest of dinner went by smoothly, and just as we were cleaning the table up, I heard Oliver start to cry through the baby monitor.

"He must be hungry again. Well, I've got to go take care of that." I told Sam as he walked back into the dining room from the kitchen.

"That's okay. I should probably be getting home anyways." He pointed to the door. For the moment, Oliver had quietened back down, so I walked him to the door.

"So, that was some dinner." I said as I shut the door behind us to give us some privacy. Before I could fully turn around to look at him, Sam grabbed my face and kissed me like his life depended on it. After I got over the shock, I started kissing him back. This has got to be the sweetest kiss of my entire life. And believe me, I've had good kisses before. I mean, I do have a baby at 16. He finally pulled away so we could catch our breath. He still held my face as we just stared into each other's eyes. Man, I loved those eyes.

"Goodnight Gabby." Sam whispered as he dropped his hands. By the time I had regained my thoughts, he was down the stairs.

"Goodnight Sam." Oliver's cry brought me back to reality as I headed back inside and up the stairs trying not to run into Aunt Babs. Who knows what her reaction would be?

I sat in the rocking chair as I settled Oliver in my arms to feed him. After he was latched, I just watched him.

"Can you believe that just happened?" I asked Oliver as quietly as I could.

+++

It was a couple days after our kiss before I thought I could make it out of the house with Oliver by myself, and I decided to take him to Luke's. So, I left the stroller outside as I brought Oliver's car seat in and found Lorelai and Rory already sitting down at a table by the door.

"Oh, Luke! We are just dying for some refreshments." I heard Lorelai shout in a southern accent as I sat down at their table.

"This seat taken?" I asked as they noticed me.

"Never for my favorite boy." Lorelai said as she went straight for the car seat and picked Oliver up. He was wide awake as she held him. "So, how are you doing?" She asks when she glances up at me.