Hammers and Veils

     It had been a couple weeks now, and I still haven't worked to the courage to talk to Sam. I've had plenty of chances lately, because we've been getting closer and closer, so we've been hanging out a lot more lately. I just love the time we spend together and I don't want to ruin it. But, I have to talk with him eventually. So, as we sit at the gazebo in the middle of town I try to work up my nerve. 

     After a minute of silence between us I turn to him and make eye contact, "So, um, Sam."

     "Yes?" 

     "There's something I've been meaning to talk with you about for a while now."

     "Uh huh?" 

     "So, well, I don't know if you've noticed but, um, I've begun to develop feelings for you."  He smiles at this but lets me continue. "And well, I just wanted to talk with you about it because, well, I'm 31 weeks pregnant now, and soon there will be a baby."

     "Oh, is that how that works?" He interrupts me with his sarcasm. I give him a look and continue.

     "Well, I just didn't want you to feel like I was trapping you into my life. You know? I just wanted to let you know that I don't expect anything of you if we get into a relationship, if you even like me back. A baby is a lot of responsibility, but he is my responsibility, and I just wanted to make that clear. " I glance up at his face to see if I can tell what he's thinking.

     "Well, I like you too." He has a huge smile on his face, as do I. "And this baby is a huge part of you, so that makes me like him even more. So i am all in this relationship. Are you?" 

     "Definitely." We both smile at each other until he breaks the silence. 

     "So, will you go on a date with me tonight?" Sam asks me.

     "I can't tonight. I have to go to Lorelai and Max's engagement party, remember?"

     "Oh, yeah. Well, what about tomorrow night?" I nodded my head yes.

     "Of course. How could I ever say no?" He had the most beautiful smile.

     "Okie dokie, sounds like a plan. I'm going to go home now and start planning for tomorrow, do you need me to walk you home?" I shook my head no.

      "I'm actually going to go to Luke's now, so I'm good." 

     "Okay, well, I'll pick you up at 7."

     "Okay, see you then. I can't wait." 

     "Me either." I reluctantly walk to Luke's with a smile on my face. As I sit down at the counter Luke walks over. 

     "What's up with you?" He gruffly asks.

     "What do you mean?"

     "Well, what's that smile on your face about?"