Concert Interruptus (Continued)

Gabby's POV

     I was an hour into my shift when I see Rory standing outside the door looking at the poster that Luke put up about the rummage sale. I smile when she comes in with a smile on her face and sits down at the counter in front of Luke.

     "If you want coffee, you'll have to wait." Luke greets her with his ever-present attitude.

     "Hey Luke, someone put a sign for the rummage sale up in your window over there," Rory observes.

     "You can have decaf right now if you're in a hurry." He totally ignores what she says.

     "You should call the cops about this." She jokes. "I mean we all know how you feel about public displays of affection." She tries again, to get something out of him.

     "Your mom asked me to put it there, okay?" He relents. I just know they are meant to be together someday. They may not be ready now, but they are connected.

     "And you said yes?" Rory asks him.

     "She's not real good with 'no'." Luke explains.

     "No, she's not," Rory replies with a smile on her face. Luke noticed it too.

     "For every second you laugh at me, that's one second longer you're waiting for coffee." He tells her.

     "Sorry, no laughing," Rory says back, trying to keep a straight face. I watch Luke leave, also trying not to smile. I take this as my cue to talk to her. So I move over there and stand in front of her.

     "Hey."

     "Hi," she replies back, finally letting her smile free.

     "So, I need your opinion on something," I tell her.

     "Yeah?" She asks.

     "Well, I have an ultrasound tomorrow, and I get to find out the gender at this one," before I can continue she interrupts.

     "Oh! Really? Are you excited? What do you think it'll be? I want it to be a girl." She starts spitting out questions, getting excited. I stop her before she runs out of breath.

     "Hold on, Rory. Yes, I am excited. I have no idea what it's gonna be. I already love him or her too much to care, but I was wondering if you thought I should have a gender reveal party. I like the idea, you know, but I don't want to be alone." I confess as I look down at the counter, messing with the sugar.

     "Hey, you are not alone, okay? You have me and Mom, Luke, Lane, and Sookie. You can't forget about Babette and Morey, they love you so much. The whole town does." She says as she takes my hand and forces me to look her in the eyes. I see the sincerity and love. It makes me feel a little better, knowing she's there. I've come to look at her as one of my best friends, her and Lane. "I think you should have it. Celebrate this with the town, I know they would love it." I smile appreciatively at her.

     "Thank you. You know I appreciate all that you and everybody here have done. You have all accepted me when my own parents didn't." I say, about to tear up again. She leans over the counter and gives me a huge hug. We hug until the door opens and her mom walks in with a leopard print cowboy hat on her head. She sits down and starts talking like she doesn't have that ridiculous accessory on her head as Rory and I stare at her like she's grown three heads.

     "Margaret Atworthy just dropped off three boxes of city council potholders and begged me to take her grandson. People are getting crazy, man" She says as if she hadn't gone crazy. Rory just looks at her as she takes off her coat. Lorelai makes a face.