Paris is Burning

Gabby's POV

     I was in town at the puppies that they were showing, trying to get people to adopt them, just looking at them. I was thing about all that has happened in the last week. I finally told the town, and after the initial shock they've been very supportive, and I'm glad that I told them. I also just turned 14 weeks pregnant. The morning sickness and the tiredness are going away. Which is a blessing. Although, I'm definitely fixing to start having to look at maternity clothes, cause he or she is growing fast. I get to find out if its a boy or girl in a couple of weeks, and I couldn't be any more excited. I quickly lose my train of thought as Lorelai and Rory come over. 

     "Rory, look at the baby." Lorelai tells her.

      "Mom." Rory replies back like she doesn't want to be there. 

       "Aw, 'Buttercup was found cold and wet hovering under a hydrangea bush along highway 26!' Its a sad highway." Lorelai exclaims. I look over at her. 

       "As compared to all the happy highways she could have been abandoned by?" I ask.

       "Her lineage includes Cocker Spaniel, Golden Retriever, Bouvier Des Flandres,"

        "Geshundeit." Rory interrupts her. 

         "Thank you. And Rottweiler." Lorelai smiles at the dog. 

         "Buttercup is a special dog. She is extremely skittish and tends to react badly toward blond haired females, brunette males, children of either sex, other animals, red clothing, cabbage, or anyone in uniform." Rory reads off exasperated. Then Luke walks up. 

           "Hey, we just found the doggy version of you." Lorelai tells him as a worker comes up. Luke turns to him. 

           "Do not let these two anywhere near a dog. They can barely feed themselves." Luke accuses. I just stand off to the side, watching. 

            "Shut up, you! We would be excellent pet owners, thank you." Lorelai replies indignantly. 

            "You can not be serious." Rory says. 

             "We can get him a pretty bowl..."

             "Its a her!" Rory interrupts and tells her. 

              "And a new name." Lorelai continues as if Rory hadn't said anything. 

              "Mom." Rory exclaims. It seems like she uses that tone a lot with her mother. 

              "This 'Buttercup' thing really has to go." Lorelai, again, continues. 

              "Do I need to remind you of Skippy?" Rory asks. This definitely sounds interesting. 

              "Skippy?" Luke asks, just as intrigues as I am. 

              "I can't believe you would bring up Skippy?" Lorelai says, offended.

              "Skippy was our hamster." Rory begins to tell us. 

              "He doesn't care." Lorelai tries to sway the conversation. 

               "What happened to Skippy?" Luke asks, obviously caring. 

               "Nothing happened to Skippy." Lorelai deflects.

               "Every time Mom would put her hand in his cage he'd bite her." Rory goes on. 

               "And laugh." Lorelai adds.

               "Hamsters can't laugh." Luke tells her. 

               "Oh, this one laughed. Trust me." Lorelai urges.

               "So finally she got fed up." 

               "Of being laughed at by a hamster?" I asked.

               "Well, yeah." Lorelai tells me like it was obvious. 

               "And so she stopped cleaning it's cage. Instead, everyday she would stuff some Kleenex in there." Rory proceeds with the story. 

               "You didn't." Luke says unbelievably. 

               "It was the quilted kind." Lorelai replies.

               "So, this keeps going on and the cage is just a cage full of Kleenex that moves a little.And the smell? Really good." 

                 "I can imagine." Luke interrupts. 

                 "Oh, no you can't." Lorelai tells him. 

                 "So she takes the cage to the place where we bought him, waits for the sales guy to go behind the desk, and dumps it on the counter, then bolts."

                 "You abandoned your hamster?" I ask sadly. 

                 "Look, I know it was bad, but this was a vicious hamster. This was like a damien hamster with little beady eyes and a big forked tale, and a, cape with a, hood and, hm. Bye bye Buttercup. Bye Luke. Bye Gabby." Lorelai says as they leave. 

       Its a couple days later and I am waiting in Luke's for Rory to get home from school when I hear the bell above the door ring. I turn around and, sure enough, its Rory. She comes over to me with an upset look on her face. 

       "Aw, what's wrong?" I ask her with concern. She looks to me as she sits down.

       "My mother. My mother is what's wrong." She replies.

       "Why what did she do?"

       "She kissed my teacher in school today, and Paris saw, and she told the whole school about it. So, now, I'm the laughing stock of the month." Rory explains. I can't believe she would do that. She must feel so bad. 

        "I'm sorry. I can't imagine that's easy. I'm sure she didn't mean to." I try to comfort her. 

        "It doesn't matter that she didn't meant to, she did."

        "Okay, okay. I'm sorry. What do you need me to do?" I ask willing to do anything. 

       "Nothing, I just need to rant." She tells me. 

       "Okay, I'm here to listen." I assure her. We spend the rest of the afternoon at Luke's hanging out. We did this for a couple more days, just hung out at Luke's after school.  Eventually one day we were both walking to her house. When we got there and Rory was calling out for her mom but she wasn't answering. So we went up to her room to see if she was there and we saw her lying on her bed crying. We both lie down around her to help comfort her. I feel really bad for her and I just hope that she feels better soon.