Chapter Twelve

||Baelor||

"Did mother convince you to appoint me as your Hand, Joff?" Zephyr asked her brother as they walked down the halls of the castle, they grew up in. "No, mother hasn't said anything about you at all actually." Joffrey stated.

"Are you sure you're alright? You fainted out of nowhere the other day and-... " Joffrey stopped mid-sentence as he glared down at the ground. "I was worried sick I'd lose you too..."

It was the first time in a long time that Joffrey had admitted to being worried about his little sister instead of being the stuck-up prick everyone knew him to be.

"You shouldn't worry about me. You have Seven Kingdoms to worry for, and the war." Zephyr tried to reassure her brother. "Don't you dare try and tell me that your health isn't worth for me to care for." Joffrey said, knowing what would come next.

"I'm sorry, Joff." Zeph sighed as they linked arms and strolled down another long hallway. "I don't know what happened either. I think I was just overwhelmed because father..."

"It's alright, hush now." Joffrey held his sister closer. "I don't want to admit it either, but he really is gone."

"He's gone but he's still here..." She chuckled softly, causing Joffrey to let out a laugh as well. "I don't want you to focus on anything other than yourself, for now. I want you, no, I need you to get better first."

"I will." Zephyr smiled up at the taller boy. "I also caught one of your ladies returning your sword to your chambers." Spoke Joffrey.

"You want to start using it again? Start training?" He asked.

"I thought if I did, I'd feel a little more connected to father." Zephyr smiled sheepishly.

"If it makes you happy, then so be it." Joffrey adored his little sister. He knew he was a mean little arse to her many times, but he never stopped loving her. She was always there to protect him when he got into a dangerous situation, and he was there to threaten some meek little boys who obviously had a crush on her.

"Joffrey?" Zephyr asked, "Did you consider my suggestion? To show Lord Stark mercy by keeping him in the cell?" 

"I-.." He began and remembered Sansa's plea for mercy for her father. "I have."

"Well?" She pushed on, "Well, as of now I'm still deciding." Joffrey responded, tense. He already knew he'd do something unimaginable so he'd earn the Kingdoms' respect, but he didn't know the impact it would have on everyone.

"I shall go find mother now. Stay out of trouble." Joffrey said the last part in a joking manner, knowing her sister tended to be a little more than mischievous, to which Zephyr responded with a laugh. As soon as her brother was out of sight an earshot though, she quickly went down to the dungeons to find Lord Varys holding a torch.

"They say when a Princess is late, it's normally for dramatic effects." Varys commented, unamused.

"Hush now, we need to see Lord Stark." The younger girl said as she took the torch from the eunuch's hand and charmed her way into Lord Stark's cell, holding the torch close to his face, hoping the light would wake him.

When he opened his eyes, "You've seen better days, my lord." Varys spoke.

"Another visit?" Ned asked, confused as to what it was about this time.

"You visited Lord Stark before, and you never told me?" Zephyr looked at Varys, almost offended, who in turn shrugged.

"It seems you two are my last friends." Ned says.