Chapter Sixty

||The Bells||

When they returned to Dragonstone after Cersei's stunt, and refusal for surrender, Daenerys hadn't left nor eaten anything in days. The only person she bothered to speak any words to was Zephyr until Tyrion opened his clever little mouth and confessed Varys' treason.

Later in the night, after Aegon's arrival to the Island, they gathered on the cliff of Dragonstone where the Dragons spent their time mostly, which would be where Varys gets executed for his crimes. Grey worm and a handful of his men brought Varys to Daenerys, where she, Zephyr, Tyrion and Aegon waited.

Tears were brimming in Zephyr's eyes as she watched her old friend get sentenced to death for committing treason. Aegon wrapped an arm around his beloved wife, in an attempt to calm her down but to no avail. She didn't want this.

"It was me." Tyrion confessed to Varys, who walked over to him once Daenerys allowed him to.

"I hope I deserve this." Varys stated as he nodded, understanding why he did what he did. "Truly, I do. I hope I'm wrong."

"Goodbye, old Friends." Varys said to Zephyr and Tyrion after inhaling and exhaling sharply, prepared to meet his fate.

Tyrion held onto his arm one last time before going to stand next to Daenerys.

Before she knew it, tears were streaming down Zephyr's face as she began to sob. Daenerys stepped forward and as she did, the Unsullied went to stand behind them.

"Lord Varys," Daenerys spoke, "I, Daenerys of House Targaryen, First of my Name, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons..sentence you to die."

"Varys, look at me." Zephyr sobbed, gaining Varys' attention. "You're going to be okay. You'll be safe. You don't have to fight anymore.."

"Dracarys." Daenerys said. Drogon who stood tall behind them, roared before he began burning Varys alive.

"No!" Zephyr cried as she ran toward her old friend, wanting to be with him in his last moments, to be by his side, but instead she got held back by Aegon.

"Farewell." Varys said before he got engulfed by the flames, his screams echoing through the night.

And that night, Daenerys chose she'd have to rule with fear if she wasn't going to get any love from her people. She chose madness.

Daenerys sat in her throne in Dragonstone, Tyrion trying to convince his Queen otherwise than burning the city down to the ground.

"The people who live there, they're not your enemies." Tyrion tried to reason with the Queen, "They're innocents like the ones you liberated in Meereen."

"In Meereen, the slaves turned on the Masters and liberated the city themselves the moment I arrived." Daenerys stated.

"They're afraid." Tyrion told her, "Anyone who resists Cersei will see his family butchered. You can't expect them to be heroes. They're hostages."

"They are." Daenerys agreed. "In a tyrant's grip.  Who's fault is that? Mine?"

"What does it matter whose fault it is?" Tyrion questioned. "Thousands of children will die if the city burns."

"Your sister knows how to use her enemies' weaknesses against them" Daenerys stated, stubbornly, "That's what she thinks our mercy is: weakness."

"I beg you my Queen-" Tyrion was cut off.

"But she's wrong." Daenerys told him, "Mercy is our strength. Our mercy towards future generations who will never again be held hostage by a tyrant."

The Dragon Queen then glanced at Grey worm, "Ready the Unsullied. Tonight you sail for King's Landing to join the northern armies."