Chapter Forty-Two

||The Gift||

"So those villages we were supposed to find?" Tyrion asked Jorah as they sat on the coast they've been walking up for ages. Zephyr was tired. SHe wished she hadn't left Varys, maybe they would've been in Meereen by now.

"We can't live on berries and roots." Tyrion said as he ate some more berries, while Zephyr had abandoned hers a while ago.

"I can." Jorah said.

"You're not hungry?" Tyrion asked looking back and forth between Jorah and Zephyr, "Of course I'm hungry, Tyrion."

"You are an awful traveling companion, do you know that? Possibly the least charming man I've ever met." Tyrion snapped while Jorah remained calm.

"I'm not your traveling companion." The former Knight said.

"We are traveling together in each other's company, therefore.."

"Do you ever shut up?" Jorah asked as he cut a very annoyed Tyrion off.

"I sailed from King's Landing to Pentos in a crate without ever saying a word." Tyrion said bitterly. 

"Why?" Jorah asked as he sat down next to the young Queen, who was rather exhausted from their constant bickering.

"It never occured to you to ask why until now?" Zephyr asked the man.

"You never wondered why Tyrion Lannisetr went to visit a brothel in Volantis with the current Queen?" Tyrion questioned.

"I'm sure you've visited many brothels in many cities, Tyrion." Jorah simply answered.

There was a short moment of Silence from Tyrion until he said, "I killed my father. He wanted to execute me for a crime I did not commit. And he was fucking the woman I loved."

Jorah nodded, standing up from his place, "As miserable as you are Mormont, at least your father was a good man." Tyrion told him genuinely.

"What do you kow about my father?" Jorah asked.

"I met him. I visited the Wall. When I asked him about his men, he knew all their stories, every one of them. He actually cared about the people under his command." Tyrion explained, recalling the memories, "How do they put it in the Watch? 'We shall never see his like again'"

There was another moment of silence, a silence that was louder than anything. Jorah didn't know his father had been killed.

"Oh, you didn't know." Tyrion glanced down, "I'm sorry. I am."

"How?" was all that Jorah could ask, he wante to know how he died.

"I only know what I heard." Tyrion shook his head.

"How?" Jorah repeated, Zephyr noticing the mild shake in his voice.

"He was leading an expedition beyond the Wall. There was a mutiny. He was murdered by his own men." Tyrion explained.

"We better keep moving." Jorah said finally, not wanting to dwell on that grim subject. And so they did. They kept moving.

Jorah was walking ahead, as if he were running from his problems, but Zephyr wouldn't let that happen. She caught up to him and walked side by side, glancing up at her so called captor.

"It's okay to feel sad and show it, you know." She spoke in a soft tone.

"It shows weakness." He responded, avoiding any contact with the girl.

"Ser Jorah Mormont. You are a humanbeing. There can't be any Strength without weakness, no love without hate, it's balanced. It's nature." Zephyr explained. "Every loss makes you stronger."