●Chapter 3●

"The saddest truth is realising you have fallen madly in love with what can never be."
                       -Michael Faudet

I didn't have any idea how I felt about this. This moment. I was sitting in my office and thinking about what happened back at the elevator. He didn't say anything, just that look. The sad part was, for a second I almost thought that those hazel eyes were wanting to say something but were forced not to.

I felt a weird glittery sensation when
his arms brushed against mine. But he seemed the least bit affected.
God I felt so stupid feeling this way. Come on Emily, you have way more important things at hand to deal with rather than think about your ex lover. Or was it, ex-lover-who-never-loved-me? Ah more like the later one.

I was currently pacing back and forth when Tesa came rushing through the door. Of course who else would just come in without knocking. My best friend who else.

"Did anybody tell you?" She asked looking at me with questioning eyes. What was she talking about?

"Tell me what Tess?" I asked while she made me sit on the chair. Why does she always have to come with news that scares me even before she evens says it.

Does he remember me? Omg m I getting fired? Oh no no I cannot lose this job, I still have a lot to save before my trip to Ireland. Please god, I don't want to lose my job.

"Earth to Emily?" Tessa asks clicking her fingers in front of my face. That got my attention.

"Emily, Julian, our boss? Yeah he wants a medical report mentioning why you took a leave for a week."
I just nodded. Okay its his responsibility to check on all this I guess. What's wrong with that? Its not like he's asking me why I took a leave 5 years back. God not that again. I'm seriously going to have a migraine really soon.

"Emm, he's really upset about the staff and everything going on here. He just fired three people from the finance group. He said he didn't have to explain why he fired somebody who can't even keep the numbers on check. Everyone is really scared of him right now. You might want to be a bit prepared for this one.". She looked at me with pity. And she knew how much I hated it.

"Tess, thanks for letting me know, but I think I'll he fine." I smiled at her. But she didn't quite seem convinced by my statement. Can't blame her for caring now, can I?

She just stood there looking at me, she was in deep thought. Okay this isn't happening. The last thing I wanted was to her worry about me. "Look at me, I'll be fine okay. No go get your fine ass back to work" I told her waving her off and turned back towards my desk.

It hadn't even been a whole minute that the I heard the door close and now I heard it open again. Oh god this girl really couldn't calm down sometimes.

"Tessa White. I'm telling you for grabazillion time, I'm going to be fine. Its not like he effects me anymore." I said while still looking out the window.

"Who doesn't? Miss Anderson." Omg that voice. If the aliens are ever going to abduct me, its got to be now. Please for the love of holy god. Let it not be him.

I haf to compose myself. I could not let him have the satisfaction of knowing that his presense affected me at all.

I took a deel breath and "Good morning Mr Baker" I said turning to face the gorgeous face of my dreams and praying he would just go away.

But who wants to answer my prayers, I'm just plain ole Emily. He walks towards me. Confidence and authority oozing out of him. Just like always. Like he owned every single damn thing he laid eyes upon.

"I asked you a question, Miss Anderson. And when I do, I expect an answer." He said looking straight in my eyes. I couldn't really understand the look on his face. Almost like there was nothing he felt. Like it was void of all known emotions. I couldn't speak. I wanted to say something and not look like cat got my tongue. But I simply couldn't.

"Looks like you don't quite comprehend orders. Anyway, I have much more important work to do than stand here while you gawk at my face like I have two heads. I had to come all the way here since you seemed to busy to reply to my emails. I want the medical report as a proof as to why you missed a whole week of work. By tomorrow morning first thing." He said making himself loud and clear.

"Yes, Sir." Was all I managed to speak. But what I couldn't manage to understand was the look that followed on his face. His jaw tensed and I could almost see his hands tensing. As if I'd just abused him, he gave me an angry look and turned towards the door without saying anything else.

What the hell man? I thought to myself as I went to my laptop only to be shocked as I had 5 emails from him.
Bing.
Looks like I just received another email from my boss.

I'm appointing you as my personal assistant. I'll have the papers ready by tomorrow. The only thing you have to know now is, your reporting time will be 6 am. With a black coffee, no sugar.

Say whaaat? I just starred at the screen of my computer. His personal assistant? So I have to face him more than anyone. 24/7 on his call. Great. Just what I needed. I quickly read all his previous emails and replied to the ones needed.