I Like My Coffee Like My Women: Hot, Strong, Steamy (Three)

Sitting at a table in her soon to open coffeehouse, Jack opened her laptop. Quickly logging onto her AOL screen name, she sighed as she checked her email. There was one new email since the last time she checked, which was twenty minutes ago, but it was not from PerkyGrrl. Jack wondered for the billionth time why it was taking her friend so long to write back. An expression of worry appeared on Jack's face as she tried not to allow negative thoughts to run freely through her mind. There had to be a perfectly good reason why PerkyGrrl had not given her a reply in the past few days.

So, what was it?

Opening a fresh email, Jack began to write to her Internet companion. It was times like these when she wished that she at least had PerkyGrrl's phone number, but both of them had agreed in the beginning not to get too personal. Jack's own cell phone started to ring as she typed, but the woman ignored it. Whatever... whomever it was could wait.

PG,

If you have been busy the past few days I understand, I would just appreciate it if you would send me an email to let me know that you are all right. I'm very worried about you, hon. Just let me know how you're doing.

Blue

Positioning the tiny arrow over the send button, Jack pressed the enter key and watched as her email vanished. Maybe now she would hear something from PG by that evening. She most certainly hoped so. Logging off, Jack closed her laptop as she noticed Leslie Antigone, her consultant, heading her way. She offered the woman a smile as Leslie took a seat in the chair opposite her own.

"Hey, what's up?" Jack started.

Sitting back in the chair, Leslie studied Jack as she crossed one leg over the other, causing her skirt to raise higher. Almost in reflex, light blue eyes strayed to the consultant's long gorgeous legs, remembering those times long ago when they used to be wrapped around her waist, or positioned over her shoulders, or... Blinking, Jack shook her head in an attempt to rid her mind of those thoughts. It's been far too long since I've had any good lovin'. Hell, it's been too long since I've had any lovin' at all.

Leslie faintly grinned, noticing where Jack's eyes had momentarily been. She had a good idea what the other woman might have been thinking too. Poor thing. All work and no play, I bet. Well, if Leslie had her way, it would not remain that way for much longer. Over the past six months they had started working together to create this coffeehouse, the fire that Leslie deemed had died out years ago when she and Jack were an item, was burning red hot again.

"Funny, I could ask you the same thing, Jack," Leslie started. "You've sort of been in your own little world all day. Is something bothering you?" she asked in a voice laced with concern. Leslie fought the urge to reach over and sandwich one of Jack's hands between both of her own.

Jack shook her head. "I don't know what you're talking about, Leslie. Nothing is bothering me," she gave a momentary pause. "But thanks for asking." She offered her ex a smile.

"Are you worried about Chloe being in Hawaii? She's a big girl now, Jack. You've raised her right and I know she's just fine. She and her friends are probably having a ball right at this moment." Leslie reassuringly smiled. "Besides, knowing you, you probably have her calling you three times a day to let you know how things are going, so you should realize she's okay."

Jack suddenly laughed, as did Leslie. "Hey, that's not true." She grinned at the consultant. "Chloe's only supposed to call me once every evening."

Leslie chuckled. "I figured you had her on some type of schedule." She smiled fondly, remembering how she used to observe Jack with Chloe. There was always a warmth and softness in Jack when she was with her sister, talking to her, teaching her, that she rarely showed to anyone else. "You're a very good big sister, Jack."