Decaffeinated Coffee is Kind of Like Kissing Your Sister (Seven)

Saturday morning found Sonny sitting behind her desk at the coffeehouse as she looked at the thirteen-inch television positioned on it. Munching on a granola bar, she stared toward the television with a frown. That was all she had seemed to be able to do in the last week was frown at one thing or another. There was one person to blame for all of this and that person was none other than Jack Foster. During the past few weeks, that woman had become a major thorn in her side.

Finishing her granola bar, Sonny tossed the empty wrapper in the wastebasket before propping her feet up on the desk, crossing one ankle over the other as she looked at the news. They of course were speaking of how wonderful and snazzy Jack Foster's Brew 'n' Paradise was. It was the new up and coming coffeehouse in Orlando and was taking everyone by storm. Sonny rolled her eyes. It wasn't that she was jealous... well much. It irritated her that such a contemptible and cold-hearted person like Jack should get this great of publicity and praise. Where was the justice in this world?

Sonny ran a hand through her hair while releasing a soft sigh. Jack was making good on her promise, which was to kick Bean There, Done That's rear end. Their sells were steadily declining because they were losing customers, some of which had been coming there for as long as the coffeehouse had been open. Just about everyone wanted a taste of Brew n' Paradise with its cheaper prices, computers, and entertainment. Sonny's eyes narrowed. The only reason they had cheaper prices was because Jack made everything on her menu five cents cheaper than what it was at Bean There, Done That -- and that was if she and Sarah had it since Brew n' Paradise had so many more tasty beverages and pastries to choose from.

Reaching for the remote, Sonny switched off the television, not wanting to see anymore. After all, she was only torturing herself by watching it. Glancing at the calendar pinned to the wall, Sonny smiled for the first time that morning. It was now the twenty-third of September, which meant that in less than a week she would meet Blue in person. Sonny looked forward to the break from her current predicament. During the whole day, she vowed not to give one thought to Jack Foster, business, and possible strategies. She would just relax and have fun with Blue.

Looking toward the desk, green eyes caught sight of a gold-plated picture frame with a photograph in it. It was a photograph of she and Laura at the beach taken back in early June. Sadness washed over Sonny as she observed the picture. She and Laura were dressed in their swimsuits, standing near the surf, posing for the camera with broad bright smiles on their faces. A faint smile briefly appeared on her lips as she thought back to what happened right after their picture was taken. Sonny had been quickly swooped up into Laura's arms and tossed into the ocean, hearing her girlfriend chuckle in glee, soon to join in after the initial surprise. She softly sighed. The two of them had been so happy that day.

What had gone wrong these last few months? It seemed she and Laura were drifting apart with every day that passed. During the past few weeks, Laura had taken to spending more time at her home than at Sonny's, which was unusual. Usually, she would sleep over so much, her girlfriend would often forget that she had a place of her own. Their relationship had really started to change about the time when Sonny put Laura out because she forged Jack's check and deposited it into her girlfriend's bank account. Although they kissed and made up just a few days later, that disagreement appeared to have a lasting impact on their relationship.

Thoughtfully observing the phone, Sonny wondered if she should call her girlfriend. Perhaps she could ask her out on a date for that evening. After all, it was Saturday. They should spend the night out together on the town. Maybe take in a movie, go to dinner, and then take a long romantic stroll on the beach. A smile started to brighten up Sonny's face as she mentally made their plans. Yes, this was just what she and Laura needed. They needed to have some quality time with one another.