All's Fair in Love and War -- and Coffee (Twenty-Two)

After taking nearly an hour to choose a pair of gray cargo pants along with a black v-neck short-sleeved top to wear, Sonny hurried down to her compact car, getting in. Before starting the ignition, she patted a pocket located mid-thigh to make sure that she had remembered to bring her wallet. Pleased to feel the slight bulge there, she quickly fastened her seat belt, started the car, and pulled out of the parking lot.

As she stopped at a red light minutes later, Sonny reached over, switching on the radio. Turning the stations, she stopped on one that was playing the song From This Moment On by Shania Twain. She smiled while beginning to mouth the words of the beautiful song as she proceeded to drive. Today she had a larger appreciation of country music because it caused her to think of a very special person in her life. Sonny thought back to the surprise phone call she received yesterday evening.

With a chocolate candy bar in her left hand, Sonny manipulated the mouse with her right, moving the playing cards on the computer screen. This was her seventh game of Solitaire in the last half-hour, and she was determined to keep playing until she won. Bringing the candy bar to her open mouth, Sonny nearly took a bite when she stopped due to the phone ringing. Putting the candy on a napkin, she reached over, picking up the phone hoping it wasn't another journalist wanting to get the full story on her coffeehouse closing down a few days ago.

"Hello?"

"Howdy there," said a woman sporting a husky southern accent.

She felt a searing heat rushing all the way to the apex of her thighs at the delicious sound of that voice. She'd always been a sucker for women with southern accents, having once dated one a few years back. If this turned out to be a journalist, she just might be tempted to give the caller her much wanted interview. Sonny shook her head to clear it of the mischievous thoughts. Jack, Blue, Leslie...Didn't she already have enough relationships going in one form or another with women? No, no use in her being intrigued by the southern belle currently on the phone.

"Hello," Sonny repeated. "May I help you?"

"You have no idea who I am, do you?" the southern woman chuckled richly. "Well, I guess you wouldn't, seeing how we've never orally spoken to one another."

Sonny arched a brow. No, it couldn't be...could it? "B...Blue? Is this you?" The rate of her heartbeat began to dramatically increase. She had all but given up on her online friend calling at the beginning of the weekend.

"Bing-o! I told you I'd call within a week. Sorry it took me so long to do it though. I barely beat the clock." She laughed again, sounding just a tad bit nervous.

Wiping dampened palms up and down her thighs, Sonny inhaled deeply before trusting herself to speak. "Wow. I can't believe it's you," she gave a slight pause before continuing, "How did you know it was me answering the phone?"

"Simple. My heart told me so," the southerner earnestly replied.

Speaking of hearts, Sonny felt hers melt into a puddle. "Wow," she said, thinking it was lame, but at the moment she was having difficulty getting her brain to work properly. "H...How are you? It's so good to finally hear your voice." You're sweet, sexy, wonderful voice. That heat between Sonny's thighs was steadily growing.

"I'm doing very well. And you, Madison? Or would you rather I call you Sonny?"

You could call me dumbbell and I would be just fine with it, Sonny thought. "Either one is fine, but most people call me Sonny. What's your name?" She chuckled. "I feel kinda silly talking with you on the phone and not knowing it."