Without Coffee Breaks There Would Be No Accomplishments (Thirteen)

This chapter is happily dedicated to B_Starr.  See that new book cover over yonder?  She surprised me with that outta the blue and I just love it.  Thank you again, sweet B!

Opening the door to her apartment, Sonny walked in, closing it behind her. Tossing the bag containing the clothes she wore the previous day on the couch, she went to the kitchen, intending to make herself a cup of coffee before taking a shower and going to the coffeehouse. Arriving at her percolator, she instantly noticed that her coffeepot had vanished.

"Looking for this?"

Feeling her heart jump into her throat, Sonny swiftly turned around, a small yelp escaping her. Noticing Laura calmly sitting at the kitchen table sipping a cup of coffee, she groaned. "You nearly scared me to death!"

Grabbing an empty, clean mug from the table, Laura filled it with steaming coffee and offered it to her girlfriend, her expression unreadable for the time being. "Sorry. Didn't mean to almost do that."

Walking over, Sonny accepted the cup of coffee, taking a seat in the chair across from Laura's. Bringing the cup to her lips, she took a couple of sips from the rich brew and placed it on the table. "How long have you been here?" she asked, looking at her girlfriend while not being able to shake the feeling that she was quite upset.

After taking a sip of her coffee, Laura replied, "Since around three o'clock."

Sonny's eyes opened wide. "You've been here for nearly six hours?"

Laura nodded. "Yes, I have. After I kept calling and you didn't answer the phone, I grew concerned enough to drive over here. I was intending to give you a couple more hours to arrive home before I called the police."

"I'm sorry you were worried, Laura. If I had known you would have been trying to contact me, I would have called you to let you know where I was."

"Speaking of which, where were you anyway? I know you mentioned that you had plans, but they took all night to finish?"

Picking up her cup, Sonny took a swallow from it while she gathered her thoughts. "I was at Disneyworld." She then pointed to her Disney shirt as evidence.

Laura slowly nodded as she glanced at the shirt, noticing it for the first time. "I see. Well unless things have drastically changed, last I knew it, Disneyworld didn't stay open all night."

"It doesn't. I was tired by the time evening rolled around, so I checked into one of Disney's resorts and slept there."

"So, you went to Disneyworld all by your lonesome?"

Sonny shook her head as she automatically replied, "No, I went with Sarah." She almost winced at her response, hoping that Laura had not called Sarah to see if she knew of her whereabouts.

"Ah, I see." Laura nodded again, her expression remaining difficult to decipher. "So, you and she just hung out and had fun, hmm?"

Sonny let out a relieved breath. "Yes, we did. And I would have invited you along, but Sarah and I hardly get to spend any quality together anymore because we're so busy with trying to save our coffeehouse, so I came up with the idea for us to go spend a day at Disney. By the end of the day, we were both so wiped out from exploring and riding so much, that she and I both checked into the Contemporary Resort."

Laura smiled at her. "I understand. She's your best friend and I know how much she means to you. I'm glad you two had fun."

"That we did." Glancing at the clock on the wall, Sonny took another sip of her coffee before standing and pushing her chair in. "Honey, I have to get my shower and head over to the coffeehouse. Would you like to have dinner with me later?"