Decaf is the Devil's Blend (Thirty-One)

Later that evening as she added a little color to her lips, Jack peered at a grumpy looking Sonny through the mirror. Well, I got my reaction. She's ticked off with me though trying her best not to show it. Ever since Jack informed her friend that she was going to a nightclub with Alicia, Sonny had been unusually quiet and reserved. However, when she did speak to Jack, the tone of her voice was laced with irritation.

Capping the tube of lipstick she had been using, Jack placed it in a small makeup bag before zipping it up and turning around to face Sonny. Leaning against the vanity table, Jack crossed her arms over her chest, quietly observing the other woman who stared right back at her. Finally sighing, Sonny crossed one leg over the other as she leaned back on the bed while successfully keeping eye contact. Noticing the grin that tugged at Jack's lips, she had an urge to wipe it off none too gently. However, instead of marching over and doing so, she merely frowned.

"Is something wrong, Sonny?" Jack quietly asked.

One eyebrow arched. "Wrong? What makes you think that something is wrong, Jack?" As had been the case since that afternoon, the irritation in Sonny's voice reigned supreme.

"Well, you're frowning for one thing, and you've been snippy with me ever since I told you that Alicia and I had plans. I know it's not my imagination, so what's up?" Cocking her head to the side, Jack regarded her friend with a patient look while waiting for her response.

Sonny shook her head. "Nothing's wrong," she unconvincingly replied. "I hope you and Alicia have a good time tonight," she added, sounding like she wanted to say just the opposite.

"Do you have a problem with my going out with her? Please be honest."

"Of course not. You can do whomever you want." Realizing what she had just said, she quickly amended her statement as a blush rose on her cheeks while Jack grinned. "I mean you can do whatever you want."

"You truly mean that? Because if you don't want me to go out with her, then I won't."

Suddenly feeling like an immature child, Sonny softly sighed. Rising from the bed, she walked toward Jack. Placing a hand on the woman's shoulder, she gave it a light squeeze as she looked into gentle blue eyes. "I'm sorry for behaving like a jerk the past few hours, Jack. I don't particularly like the idea of you going out with Alicia because I don't care for her, and I think you could do so much better." Plus, I'm insanely jealous though I would never admit that to you. Lord knows you don't need anymore ammunition to tease and taunt me with.

Smiling at Sonny, Jack gently lifted the petite hand still resting on her arm and turned it over to lightly kiss the palm before letting go. "Thank you for looking out for me, Sonny girl, but it's just one evening. I'm not looking to rekindle a relationship. Especially after hearing what you and Briana had to say about her." She grinned at the smaller woman. Oh, Sonny I do believe the green-eyed monster has invaded your body. I know jealousy when I see it, and I have to admit that I'm loving every moment of this!

"So, everything is okay between us, right?" Jack asked.

Gracing her with a smile though she fervently wished that Alicia would either forget how to get to her parent's house or call and cancel she and Jack's date, Sonny nodded. "Yes, everything is perfect."

Dazzlingly smiling, the brunette performed a three hundred and sixty-degree turn. "How do I look, Sonny girl?"

Taking a couple of steps back, Sonny openly admired the outfit, which she had previously been surreptitiously admiring. She thought it would have been next to impossible to do, but Jack had managed to look even more spectacular than she did the night of Chloe's welcome home dinner party. That night she was pure sexiness, but tonight she was sexy with a dash of butchness. The simple word that kept flashing in Sonny's brain was hot. She slightly shook her head. No, on second thought, hot wasn't nearly good enough. Sizzling hot and incredibly scrumptious were much better.