No Questions Until I've had My Second Cup of Coffee (Six)

As she flipped through the channels, Sonny kept glancing toward the front door, wondering what was keeping Laura. How much fresh air did that woman need? Stopping on HBO, Sonny tossed the remote control on the couch and started to watch a movie that she had seen at least seven times before. As she mentally started to recite the lines, she heard a key turn in the doorknob. Looking over her shoulder, she watched as Laura entered.

Standing in front of the now closed door, Laura nervously shifted her weight from one foot to the other while studying her girlfriend, who reclined on the couch. "I did something tonight. Promise me that you won't get mad."

Raising an inquisitive eyebrow, Sonny slowly shook her head. "No. I can't do that because every time you try to get someone to promise that they won't get mad due to what you are about to tell them, the majority of the time they do anyway. So, instead of making a promise that odds are I probably will not be able to keep, my answer is no. I will make no such promise to you. Plus, my mood is already unstable because of my new neighbor Jack Foster, who is from down under, and I'm not referring to Australia. So, that is one more reason why I should not make any promises to keep my temper in check. Just tell me what is going on. Where were you?"

Taking a deep breath, Laura looked at Sonny as she opened her mouth to speak. However, no words would come forth. Quickly wetting her lips, Laura tried again. "I umm... I..."

Turning around on the couch so that she was facing Laura, Sonny tucked one leg underneath her as she cocked her head to the side. "It can't be that bad, honey," Sonny said, softening her tone of voice. "Did you cheat on me?" she asked, already knowing the answer. Laura would never do anything like that. Also, who would preface a confession of unfaithfulness with a statement like 'don't get mad'?

Laura quickly shook her head. "No," she replied with conviction. "I love you and I would never ever even think of doing such a thing. You're the only woman for me, Sonny."

For that, she received a warm smile. "All right. I didn't think so." Sonny thought for a moment before continuing, "Did you somehow join forces with Jack Foster?" Her expression was one of mild amusement when she asked the question.

If it were not for her nervousness, Laura could have laughed at that. "God no!" She faintly grinned. "I'd rather find myself some buxom young thing to take to bed."

Sonny chuckled a bit. "Okay, well, tell me what's on your mind."

Laura inwardly sighed. Might as well tell her and be done with it. "I went to confront Jack Foster about the way she is treating you. I just came from her house."

"How did you find out where she lived?"

Briefly biting down on her lower lip, Laura replied, "From that check she gave you. It had her address on it and I... remembered what it was."

Sonny nodded. "I see. So you went to confront her... how did that go?"

"Not well actually." Laura glanced down at her right hand. Her knuckles were a little bruised from when she struck Jack in the face and flexing her hand, she discovered that it had began to ache. "She pissed me off so much that I lost my temper and ended up hitting her."

Green eyes displaying a hint of amusement, Sonny glanced toward that hand. "You only hit her the one time, right? She's not in the trunk of your car, is she? If she is, I wish that you wouldn't have taken it that far, but I'll help you to get rid of the evidence."

"You know you have an awesome significant other when they're willing to assist you in getting rid of a body. That's dedication." Laura briefly chuckled. "Yes, I only hit her once. When I left, she may have been groaning, but Ms. Foster was very much alive."