In Coffee We Trust (Thirty-Five)

Three hours later, Paul and Annette's anniversary party was in full swing. Everyone was having a grand time conversing, dancing, playing games, and munching on snacks while their mouths watered waiting for Brian (the designated chef) to finish barbecuing with Jayme his assistant. The party taking place directly on the beach, Jack sat there at a picnic table talking with Sonny and her cousin Robert. Although Paul had referred to him earlier as "Gay Robert" when he informed Isaac that even his cousin "Gay Robert" had a child and most importantly it was a boy, which meant that he would be carrying on the Campbell name. Paul promptly ceased to use the nickname after his wife who had been in hearing distance at the time scolded him. Of course, the retired police officer had not meant to offend his nephew. He only wanted to make a point that his thirty-three year old son should settle down, and finally give him some grandchildren, and most importantly grandsons.

Jack smiled, listening to Sonny and Robert excitedly conversing, taking turns telling her wacky stories from their youth. She started to laugh as they relayed to her the story of how they obtained fake IDs in order to get into a gay & lesbian night club, which had a minimum age requirement of twenty-one. At the time, Sonny had been sixteen and Robert nineteen. Having just come out to her parents nearly a week ago, Sonny wanted to celebrate, and with little effort coaxed Robert into joining her in a night of fun. Soon after they arrived at the nightclub, they found themselves participating in a rambunctious game of "who can swallow the most tequila shots without falling down drunk on their asses". Of course, they both lost. Not only did they lose the game, but the contents of their stomachs all over the dance floor while attempting to do the electric slide, but looking more like a couple of bumbling drunks with two left feet.

Bursting into tears because she was thoroughly humiliated, and felt like someone was setting off firecrackers in her tummy, Sonny was ushered off of the dance floor, the protective arms of her though equally inebriated, dependable cousin around her. Having enough sense to know that they shouldn't be driving in their condition, they reluctantly called Sonny's parents to come pick them up. The next day, they had to endure an extreme hangover along with a lecture from their parental units, and although he was nineteen, Robert had his license taken away for a week for being so irresponsible and for not looking out for his "innocent, impressionable baby cousin". It was on the tip of his tongue to tell his mother and father that it had all been Sonny's idea, but he quickly decided that it wouldn't do any good. Plus, he would never rat out Sonny. He loved the mischievous little thing too much.

"Aaw, that's sweet," Jack remarked, grinning as the other two finished up their latest story. "Sounds like you two have had a lot of good times over the years."

Robert playfully nudged his cousin's shoulder with his own. "She drives me buggy sometimes, but I gotta love her!" Before anything more could be said, a tow-headed toddler carefully waddled over towards the trio. Bypassing his father, the little boy stretched his arms out to Jack, silently asking to be picked up. From the moment they had been introduced when he arrived earlier, he'd wanted to inspect the shiny thin gold chain wrapped around Jack's neck, and now was as good a time as any.

"Hey you," Jack crooned, gently lifting the toddler onto her lap. Not liking the fact that he was facing away from the object of his interest, the baby carefully turned around with some assistance from his human chair. Content now, Thomas Campbell got to work. Boldly wrapping his tiny fist around the expensive jewelry, he gave it a good shake, joyously giggling as the rays from the sun danced off the gold. It was very lovely, and he would have said so had his vocabulary been more extensive.

"Thomas, no!" Bolting from his seat, Robert profusely apologized as he reached out for his son.

Shaking her head, Jack refused to let him take the boy. Meanwhile, Thomas continued to play as though he hadn't heard his father's warning. Actually, he heard him loud and clear, but chose to ignore him. His need to explore his human chair, and her shiny gold stuff was just too great. "Robert, it's just fine," Jack stated, a smile on her lips. And it truly was just fine. She didn't mind in the least bit and enjoyed watching the fascinated expression on Thomas's adorable little face as he lightly tugged and shook her chain. Jack felt a sudden maternal urge tugging at her. Damn. First I lose my Conqueror title, and now I want to stock up on diapers and rubber nipples? She blamed Sonny. Yep, somehow this was all Sonny's fault.