Decaf is Like Masturbating With an Oven Mitt (Seventeen)

After finishing her fourth cup of coffee that evening, Jack tossed the paper cup in the trash can before glancing at her watch, noting that it was nearly ten o'clock. Thinking that Leslie should have been home by now, since she had left the hospital about an hour ago, Jack looked across to Sonny, who was sitting on the opposite side of Chloe's bed. Studying the younger woman while she read her magazine, a small smile appeared on Jack's lips. She was very thankful that Sonny had decided to come to the hospital and offer her the comfort that she so desperately needed. Giving thought to it now, Jack didn't know what she would have done without Sonny being there for her.

The smile on Jack's face grew slightly. Just one more reason why I love you, she thought as she openly gazed at the other woman. Feeling eyes upon her, Sonny looked up from the article she was reading to notice those eyes belonged to Jack. Smiling at the woman, she closed the magazine and leaned over to put it on the floor before settling back in her chair, crossing one leg over the other.

"I didn't mean to disturb you," Jack said in an apologetic tone. "I was just looking at you and wondering where you stashed your wings."

Sonny's brow crinkled in confusion. "Hmm?"

Grinning slightly, Jack replied, "Well you've simply got to be an angel." The grin she was wearing widened as she noticed the shade of crimson, which instantly arose on Sonny's cheeks. "Am I wrong?"

Sonny bit down on her lower lip...hard. In fact, she did it so hard, that she swore she tasted blood as heat stung her cheeks. "I...err...umm." She scowled, embarrassed that she had seemingly lost her ability to speak coherently.

Jack's eyebrow arched as she grinned so broadly that Sonny waited for her face to shatter. "I'm sorry. The only languages I understand fluently are English and Spanish. Unfortunately, I'm not at all familiar with that one."

Sonny smirked before mouthing, "Bite me."

Swiftly, Jack replied, "It would be my pleasure. Just stand up, turn around and toot over so I may sink my choppers into that firm luscious little a-"

Dark brows rose high, as Sonny's cheeks became so hot that she wished she had a bucket of ice. "Jack!" she shouted in astonishment. Swallowing with some difficulty, she glanced toward Chloe before whispering, "We're in a hospital and your little sister is between us."

Scooting her chair forward, Jack placed her hands on Chloe's bed, lacing her fingers together. Looking at the furiously blushing Sonny, she whispered, "That's right. We are in a hospital... not a church. And even in a church, it's okay to say ass as long as you use it in the correct context. Therefore, it's okay to say ass. Ass is fine." She winked as the other woman rolled her eyes. "And though I wish she were awake, I doubt that Chloe is listening to my gentle ribbing."

"Gentle ribbing?" Sonny cocked her head to the side. "That's what you call it?"

Jack nodded. "You know I'm only kidding with ya, Sonny girl." She winked again, grinning as Sonny unexpectedly blushed. Suddenly turning serious, the brunette outstretched a hand to Sonny. When she placed her hand against Jack's warm palm, she fought another blush that threatened to arise as a delightful little surge went through her. Sonny didn't want to end the contact, but let go after a reasonable length of time while she wondered why they were shaking hands in the first place. "I apologize if I went too far," Jack said, taking a deep breath as she fought the urge to recapture Sonny's hand in order to press her lips to the softness of the other woman's palm. "I just like teasing you, I guess." Jack faintly smiled. "You're cute when you're all ruffled."

"As opposed to being "un-cute" the rest of the time?"

Laughing, Jack shook her head. "No, cute doesn't even begin to do you justice." She fell silent as she stared into bright green eyes. "You're beautiful," she softly admitted. "On the outside and within, I believe that you are the most beautiful woman that I have ever seen. In fact, if I were going blind, yours is the last face that I would want to view before the darkness completely shrouded my vision."