Keep Calm and Drink Coffee (Twenty-Six)

Sitting side by side on the bench designated to Lane 12, Sonny and Laura busied themselves by putting on the bowling shoes they had just rented. While tying her shoelaces, the former of the pair tried not to think about how many pairs of feet had been in those particular shoes. The employee who rented them to her, assured Sonny that the shoes were regularly cleaned, yet she remained apprehensive about sticking her sock covered feet into them.

Sonny looked around, noticing all of the people having fun bowling, socializing and dancing to the disco music playing over the loudspeakers. The thirty-two-lane bowling alley was crowded this Friday evening with the occupants ranging from preteens to elders. Since this was disco bowling night, the usually bright lighting had been significantly dimmed and the brightest lights stemmed from the multicolored flashing bulbs lining the lanes and the disco balls strategically placed around the large establishment. Even the bowling pins were multicolored and neon bright.

Laura chuckled, following her friend's observing eyes. "Really groovy isn't it?" she asked, a huge grin on her face.

Also chuckling, Sonny pressed her back against the bench and crossed one leg over the other. "Oh, yeah man. Totally outta sight. I can dig it!" They both burst into laughter. A couple minutes after the laughter died down, Sonny looked at the woman sitting next to her and smiled. "You know, Laura, I think I needed this." Reaching out, she fondly squeezed the woman's shoulder. "Thank you for thinking of me and inviting me along."

Laura smiled in return though she couldn't help but to feel the least bit guilty about what she and Leslie were up to. I hope this plan of ours doesn't blow up in our faces, she thought, nervous butterflies taking flight within her stomach. Glancing toward her watch, she noticed that the other two were late. It was a few minutes passed seven-thirty and she hadn't heard a word from Leslie. Laura began to wonder if Jack had changed her mind about coming when she caught sight of them walking through the entrance. However, Sonny had yet to notice them since she avidly watched a man trying to teach his young son how to expertly roll the bowling ball down the lane in the opposite direction of the entrance.

Raising her hand high in the air, Laura waved to get Leslie and Jack's attention. Her heart beginning to hammer beneath her chest, she steadily watched as her lover along with Jack headed toward them. Just as they arrived, Sonny turned back around intending to say something to her companion when her eyes fell on the unexpected ex-Conqueror standing close to the bench. Blue eyes stared into green for a few silent seconds before Jack blinked, breaking the steady contact.

Throat feeling extremely dry, Sonny swallowed, continuing to gaze up toward the woman she hadn't seen since Sunday. Feeling compelled to break the silence, Sonny opened her mouth simply saying, "Wilma."

Jack loudly sighed while the rest of their small group stared at her. "Betty," she shortly replied. She then glanced between Leslie and Laura, shaking her head in astonishment. "I don't believe this. First Chloe and now you two. What? Does no one think I'm capable of running my own life anymore?" Leslie opened her mouth to say something but Jack succinctly told her to shut up, glaring at the matchmakers. "If I wanted your help, which I don't, I would have asked for it. I'm tired of people butting in. If Sonny and I aren't communicating, then it is not your duty to force us into doing so. You have no business getting involved, I don't give a damn how good your intentions are. In short, what I'm trying to say is stay the hell out of my life! I'm out of here." Turning around, Jack marched away with her heavy bowling bag in hand, all three women looking after her in varying stages of shock and sadness.

Wringing her hands together, Leslie glanced between Sonny and Jack's retreating back. "You should go after her, sweetie. She's hurting and I think you're the only who can truly help. In fact, I think you two can help one another. Don't just let her walk away." She gave Sonny a pleading look.